Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Where Was This?

Yesterday was a fun trail run.  Today, I wanted to run hard again.  However, it was just very windy and tomorrow looks like the better day, so I pushed the hard workout back.  I'm going to a basketball game this evening, so I needed a "quick" 10 mile run (as if there is really such a thing).  I couldn't mess with challenging trails and needed something flat like the Nor-Bath Trail.

I started at the far end of Bicentennial Park and headed toward Bath.  Originally, I was just going to wear a long sleeve tech shirt with shorts.  However, it was just too windy for that, so I went with a jacket and short sleeves underneath.

I started off comfortable and nice and easy.  I just relaxed and enjoyed the run as much as I could with the wind blowing.  It seemed more like a side wind than a headwind, but whatever the case it was constant and present throughout a lot of the run. 

I didn't even look at my watch until almost a mile into the run.  Even then, I just glanced at it.  It took me forever to cross Airport Road.  It must've been about 15 seconds.  I noticed something odd shortly after that.  I had seen my pace before the road crossing and overall it was 8:21.  Not too long after the road, I looked down and it was still 8:21 (even after the road crossing).  I thought that was very strange because it meant that I was running much faster than an 8:21 pace for this second mile.

Normally, my easy effort is around 8 minutes.  I had to already be going faster than that.  I ran all the way to the end of the trail and it was about 2.67 miles when I turned around.  I headed back and hit finished mile 3.  I was blown away to see it as 7:37.

I was putting in so little effort and yet the pace was very quick.  I guess that shows how quickly I'm improving and maybe also just how much I enjoy the surface of this trail.  The legs did get a little sore around mile 4, but that was only minor.  I crossed Airport Road easily the second time around.

I wasn't running hard and the only issue I had with breathing was some minor difficulty due to the wind.  Mile 4 was 7:26 and then mile 5 was 7:17.  I had quite a few race miles around 7:17 the other day.  The other awesome thing is that I wasn't even at my favorite part of the trail yet, the fastest section between Weaversville Road and Savage Road.

I made it over Weaversville quickly and had no trouble at any more of the road crossings.  Miles 6 and 7 did have more direct headwind and some uphill and those were still run at 7:25 and 7:35.  I turned around when I got to the neighborhood just past mile 7.

Now, I knew I'd have a nice downhill and non windy next mile.  That was the case and I got into a great groove and ran a 7:20.  I continued to amaze myself and my legs came back too.  I couldn't believe how strong they felt and how night and day it was from the other day.

Even on the section near Bicentennial Park, I still felt pretty good.  I continued to try to hold back.  I was getting annoyed by the wind.  Still, mile 9 was a 7:13 without much effort and I ran most of the final mile on the pavement through the park and that was again a 7:13.

This was such a great easy run and now I'm just more frustrated by the awful results of the half marathon.  I was thinking maybe I overestimated myself heading into Saturday, but I really don't think that's the case.  I hate making excuses, but I clearly hated the surface on Saturday and I certainly love the surface of the Nor-Bath Trail.  I can't believe how much of a difference it makes, but it has a pretty significant impact.  If I ran this hard today, I think I could've had no trouble running a sub 6:50 pace for the 10 miles.

I'm going to run there again tomorrow and run hard as well.  I might do an easy morning run too.  For the afternoon run, I can't decide whether I want to try a tempo run or shorter 800 repeats.  I was actually thinking about doing 4 miles hard then a recovery for a mile or two and another 4 miles hard.  Maybe I'll just start it off and see how I feel then.

10 miles - 1:15:58 (7:36 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment