Saturday, November 16, 2013

Delaware Canal Half Marathon

After running well lately, I decided to sign up for the Delaware Canal Half Marathon at the last minute.  I was hoping I could PR, but really I just wanted to test out where I was at.  I still only have about 3 recent hard runs under my belt.

It was an unseasonably warm day.  I was unsure what to wear.  I wanted to run in a singlet, but had to convince myself that it would be warm enough to do so.  Then I saw a guy parked next to me with a Boston Marathon jacket and he was wearing a singlet to race.  At that point, I was sold.

This is a race on a narrow canal towpath from Washington Crossings State Park.  Since it is narrow, they had wave starts.  I predicted a 1:32 finish time, hoping to get into the first wave.  Instead, I was in the second one.

As expected, the beginning was a little quick, although it didn't feel quick.  Toward the end of the first mile, it slowed and I open with a nice 6:59.  I was hoping to run a lot of 7 minute miles and then push toward the end.  This was a perfect start.

My breathing was a little hard during this beginning portion of the run, but I settled in.  Still, my legs didn't feel great.  I just pushed through and tried to be solid.  Some people passed me and I passed a few others.

Around the 5k point, a few people started to slip and I passed them.  I felt kind of good for a few brief moments.  That wouldn't last.  My legs didn't feel strong.  I also was running on feel and instead of 7 minute miles, it was more like 7:10 miles.

I just continued on.  I was hoping that maybe I was going slightly uphill at this point and that coming back would be downhill.  I got to mile 4, then 5 and then 6.  I actually didn't see the leader coming back until I got to mile 6.  I passed a woman right after that.

I was thrilled to be at the turnaround point.  I knew this would make or break my race.  I needed to be running downhill and I needed my sore legs to get a break.  I was hoping that if it was a slight downhill that my pace could be faster too.

That didn't happen however.  My legs were bothering me just as much or more.  This was frustrating because my lungs are so far behind my legs right now.  I wasn't breathing hard though.  It was my legs that were killing me on this stone surface and thus holding me back.

I just tried to survive until the final 5k.  My pace was only slipping slightly.  A PR would've been difficult, but I was hoping I could just push through that last 5k.  That never happened though.

I was running around a 7:11 pace at mile 9.  Then, almost out of nowhere, my upper quad started to bother me.  I've had some slight soreness in this area, but nothing like this.  It got so bad that I had no choice, but to stop and walk.

I tried to stretch, but still had no luck.  Even walking was hard.  I was worried because I didn't really want to walk 4 miles to the finish.  I just continued to walk until it started to feel better.  Then, at mile 10 I was feeling pretty good.

At this point, I decided to run.  I started off very slowly and no longer had any issues.  When I got past a half mile of running, I was thrilled.  I figured if I could just make it to mile 11, I could walk the rest if needed.

I kept going and going.  Every now and then I passed one of the people that had passed me while I was walking.  A few of them had asked about me.  I'm glad I ran a 50k a few weeks back, so I knew how to just survive.

I got better as the run went on and I was now running back to the pace of the people that I was running with.  After a slow 8:38 mile, I ran an 8:05.  Since I felt pretty good now, I pushed it in during the final half mile.  Mile 13 was at least a respectable 7:31.

I was very frustrated with the race, but happy to be done.  I was also very happy that I recovered and finished the run.  I'm still not sure what the problem was, but I guess it isn't an injury.  I didn't drink enough fluids, so maybe it was just a cramp.  After one mile over 15 minutes (thanks to the walking), I still managed a 1:45.

I do like disappointing races because I feel like I usually learn something.  I didn't run stupid though, so I'm not sure what to take from it.  I guess the lesson is never to run on stone surfaces for races.  I sort of already knew that though.

I was somewhat disappointed that I couldn't run faster when I did run hard, but oh well.  I still got a decent 9 mile workout and a little bit better feel of where I'm at now.  I have some ambitious goals for the winter and spring and I'll keep working hard to achieve them.

Tomorrow, I'm going to watch some friends run the Philadelphia Half Marathon and Marathon.  That should lift my spirits a little.  All of my future goal races are more of the fun variety and maybe I need that.  If I feel good, I'll run again on Monday.

13.1 miles - 1:45:06 (8:01 pace) 

3 comments:

  1. Brian, you mention that you were running by feel, no Garmin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, I wore it but since I didn't really have a clue what pace to expect, I had to run more on feel. My friend Flo actually was frustrated with her Garmin and ditched it for her half today and set a PR. Maybe that's not a bad idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought the garmin so I could be spontaneous with my runs and still know the milage and I was having some heart issues (MHR). I have been paying too much attention to the data and think it is taking away from my enjoyment of running and may be costing me some speed in races. I have been usung an old Timex Ironman watch latly and enjoying my runs more and it has not affected my times.

    ReplyDelete