Saturday, November 30, 2013

A Much Needed 12

I wanted to run the Turkey Trot today, but I didn't sleep well last night.  It was also quite cold this morning and I didn't think I could run a fast time.  Therefore, I passed on that.

I needed to get out and get a double digit run in.  I was feeling kind of crappy mentally, so I needed a good run.  In the afternoon, I headed out to the Nor-Bath Trail.

The weather was nicer by the afternoon.  It was at least above freezing when I started.  The wind was minimal.  I was planning to run an easy 10 miles, so I wore ColdGear with a fleece vest.  I had on tights, gloves and a headband.  I didn't quite need that much in the beginning and ended up taking it off.  As the sun was setting, I put it back on.

I started off from Bicentennial Park.  I ran west toward Northampton to start.  I just figured that I would run the whole length of the trail.  I felt great early on.  The legs were excellent and it felt easy.  It hasn't rained it a couple days, but the dirt trail was sloppy.  I guess I'm going to have to deal with those conditions all winter on this trail.

Some sections were so bad that I had to run in the grass along the trail.  I was concerned that the trail might be too soft and it might bother my legs.  I guess it didn't though.

Running out to Northampton had some downhill, so that was nice.  When I got to Northampton, I wanted to keep going since I was doing well.  I decided to run on the streets.  I ran past the high school and onto Route 329.  I then looped around as I ran down Main Street. 

By now, I had planned on 12 miles, instead of 10.  I hit mile 5 in downtown Northampton.  I did a short out and back by the Community Center to get some more distance.  I got back onto the trail with over 6 miles complete. 

I ran back uphill on the trail and back through the slop.  It was good to get to miles 7, 8, 9 and so on.  When I got to the trail onto a park, I took that paved path to add more mileage.  I saw a couple runners during these miles.  First, was a young lady.  Then a young guy that was running quite fast.  Finally, there was another young guy with his face covered, but also wearing shorts.  That was quite odd.

I decided to run somewhat hard for the last 3 miles.  I didn't run these as well as I thought I could.  The legs felt kind of dead.  It was still solids times though.  The 10th mile was 7:12.  I followed that up with a 7:01 11th.  Mile 10 had been right back where I started, so I went out and back.  I had turned around at 10.8 miles because someone was walking their dogs and I didn't want to have to pass them twice.

I finished up with a 6:40 last mile.  I could've pushed it even more too.  The overall pace dropped below 8 minutes per mile.  It was a great run and much needed.  It was so refreshing.  I finished off the week with 40 miles.

Tomorrow, I'm busy with the Eagles game.  I'm hoping to get up early and run though.  If I feel good, I might even run another short, easy run in the evening.  I'd like to do a 20 mile long run on Monday.  I'm looking for a big upcoming week.  I'm hoping for 70 miles total.

12 miles - 1:34:34 (7:53 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment