Sunday, May 5, 2013

Trexler 4 and French Creek 8

After pounding the pavement for 4 straight days, it was good to get onto some trails.  On Friday, I ran 4 miles at Trexler and today I explored French Creek State Park with an 8 mile trail run.  My legs are still beat, but they feel a little better after those two runs.  It has been a tough week, with 6 straight days of running.  I put over 50 miles in during that stretch.

I was still pretty beat after the climb up South Mountain Drive on Thursday evening, so heading out to Trexler around lunchtime Friday was a challenge.  I probably wouldn’t have even bothered going there if I wasn’t trying to keep my weekly streak alive.  I also doubt I would’ve been running on a Friday either.

I was sunny and warm, although still a little breezy at the start.  That died down quickly though.  I saw a horse trailer in the parking lot and was hoping I wouldn’t run into them.

With somewhat dead legs, I took it nice and easy in the beginning.  I don’t think I’ve ever run up the big hill by the Environmental Center with any less effort.  It was still a little challenging in the top third, by then I was going so slowly that it was much easier.  That seemed more consistent than a lot of my runs up the hill.

I now had a lot of recovery time.  I went by the bison pen, but didn’t see the newborn bison.  That was a little disappointing.  I continued along at an easy rate.  At some point, I should consider running a little harder at Trexler.  I know this whole section inside and out by now.

When I got out of the gate and to the road crossing, I saw the horses waiting to cross the road.  That was great.  It was a perfect time to encounter them.  It wasn’t on a narrow section or anything like that.  I slowly climbed up the hill, sore legs and all.  I ran past a guy that was hiking.

The plan was to at least get out 2 miles and turn around for a minimum of 4 miles total.  I ran up the hill and the dogs weren't out to bark at me from the nearby houses.  It was nice to have peace for a change.

I felt okay as I hit mile 2, so I went on.  I figured that I would turn around at 2.5 miles.  If I tried going 3 miles, the trail would start heading downhill and I would have to climb back up.  When I turned around, I was on the sloped part of the trail.  That section is one of the most annoying parts of this loop.

I headed back downhill, but it was into quite the breeze.  I’m used to the breeze being in the other direction.  It was that way all winter.  Although I went downhill, I didn’t feel great.  I think my quads really took a beating the other day.

I wasn’t sure how much more I had left in the tank.  I knew some tough hills were yet to come.  I went over the rocky section and started the climb on  the pavement.  This was getting hard and I was closing in on 4 miles.  I figured that I wouldn’t be pushing that extra mile.  I ran up the short, steep part of the trail.  I hit the 4 mile point and stopped my watch.  I then continued the short distance to the top of the hill.

I walked the remaining mile back to the car.  I didn’t want to completely trash my legs.  They already felt quite dead.  When I went past the bison area and I saw the young bison, but it was way up on the hill.  It was still cool to see.  Hopefully, I’ll get a closer glimpse in the next couple weeks.

We are spending the weekend camping in French Creek State Park, near Reading.  I’ve never run here until today.  I love being able to run and explore new places.  Trail running can be a lot of fun and I’m usually pretty good with directions.  The plan was to run 8 miles to hit 50 miles total for the week.  I had a loop sort of mapped out, although it looked like it could be 12 miles or more.

I headed out from near the campground.  The trail started as a fun wooded trail.  Then I got to a fork in the trail.  Even though I saw the map earlier and thought I should go left, for some reason I decided that going right was the correct way.  That was a big mistake.

This short section of the trail was nice.  It was downhill and through the woods.  The whole area is a lot of up and down.  Although I enjoyed the run very early on, it was short lived.  I crossed a small road and I had a feeling it was the park road and not the main road that I was looking for.  I came out to Hopewell Furnace National Historic Site and realized that I was correct in my assessment of the situation.  It was cool running through there.  It is an old area where they used to make iron and they kept some old buildings.  I guess they have actors there in the summertime.  

Since I didn’t have a map, I didn’t quite know where to go.  I decided to run north up the road to the original trailhead that I was looking for.  This section really sucked.  It was up and up and up on the pavement.  My legs weren’t enjoying it at all and I was cursing under my breath.

It seemed like forever and ever to get up the road.  The hill was a gradual climb for almost a mile.  I didn’t need that, but if I was going to climb like that, I’d rather it be on a trail.  I was so frustrated.
Finally at the top, I found a parking lot.  I stopped and looked at a map.  They did have a lot of maps around and I stopped often to either look at them or adjust my GoPro camera on my head.  With that on, my head was very sweaty.  It was actually a cool and relatively comfortable day though.

I finally found the trail I was originally hoping to do.  That didn’t improve my spirits though.  I was hoping for a fun singletrack through the woods.  Instead, it was a wide and straight doubletrack.  I think it was likely an old road.  Near the trailhead, it was a lot of stone.  It wasn’t even crushed stone.  It was medium sized stones that rolled under my feet and provided no traction.  I wasn’t even 3 miles into the run and I was a very unhappy camper.

My trashed legs weren’t enjoying the run either.  I was climbing and climbing again on this section.  I continued cursing, this time, often aloud.  Luckily, no one heard me.  I did pass a few people on this trail, but not many.  Not only was my left calf bothering me, but now my foot was acting up.  That happened a little yesterday too.  I haven’t had that occur recently, but sometimes in my past it bothered me going uphill on trails.  I'll have to monitor that.

The trail did finally venture off to the left.  It was now more of a singletrack through the woods.  It was still climbing some, but not as much.  I ran on that for a while.  I started going downhill and didn’t want to do that for very long.  I think I turned around at 3.5 miles.  I knew the loop would be downhill and then back up and I wasn’t sure if I could handle it.

I came back and it was at least a little more enjoyable in this direction.  At least I was going downhill.  It was still uncomfortable with all the rocks and loose stones.  I just looked forward to getting back near the campground.  I’d be around 5 miles at that point.

When I got back to the main road, I crossed over and found the connector trail that I was initially going to use.  It was amazing.  I was going uphill now, but it was a soft dirt path with few rocks.  I enjoyed it and so did my dead legs.  They really started to come around.  They didn’t even mind that I was going uphill.

The trail continued on past the campground road.  I ran over there as well.  It was more of the same and the trail was outstanding and I could enjoy it.  It was more in and out running too, instead of just straight ahead.  

I ran for a while, but then I hit a rocky stretch.  I didn’t want to keep going, so I turned around.  I went back through the trail from where I came.  I was then out onto the road into the campground.
I had no idea where I wanted to go and I still needed about 2.5 miles to get to 8 miles.  I ran downhill on the pavement and hoped I could find a trailhead somewhere.  I never did.  Eventually, I came to the 2nd lake road.  I had not been there yet, so I ran towards it.  That was first uphill and again not fun.  A small access road to the lake went downhill, so I elected not to go there, because I didn’t want to run back up.

I found a trail that looked like it would go to the campground.  It was going uphill, but I only had less than half a mile from the finish.  I should’ve stopped and looked at a map.  Instead, I elected to turn around and run back down the hill to the map.  I finished up there at just past 8 miles.

I saw the map did go to the campground area.  I then walked back and saw a couple that I had passed quite a while ago.  I thought it must be far to the campground, so I started running.  I only could make it .15 miles up the hill.  I didn’t want to kill my legs anymore.  They were already hurting.
Walking back to the site wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be.  I was there in no time and could finally refresh myself with a drink.

I’m unsure if I’ll run tomorrow or not.  My body definitely needs the rest.  I would rather try to run tomorrow and rest Monday though.  If I do run, I might drive to the nearby Schuylkill River Trail.  That is flat and would be much faster.  I am going to cut back my long run distance.  I’m hoping to run 13 miles.  That could take some time on a trail.  I’ll decide whenever the sun rises.

Trexler 4 miles – 36:45 (9:12 pace)
French Creek 8 miles – 1:25:18 (10:36 pace)
French Creek .15 miles – 1:31 (10:32 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment