Monday, May 27, 2013

Indianapolis Long Run

Normally, Sunday is my long run day and Saturday is much easier.  However, this week I’m at the Indy 500 and that is on Sunday, so I got my long run in today.  I am still recovering from my tough half marathon last week, so I wasn’t sure what I would do this week.  I really wanted to get my first 20 miler of this training cycle in.  I knew that that might be tough though, so I decided that anything over 15 miles would be a good run.  I let my body dictate how much I would do.

Last year, I ran here, but I was only running 8 miles or so.  This year, I had to find some longer places to run at.  The weather is like night and day between the two years.  Last year, it was unbearably hot.  This year, it is nice and cool.  I didn’t start until after 11 AM and I’m not sure that the temperature even reached the 70s.  It was cloudy the whole time.  There was some humidity though.

I went with a normal top and shorts.  I used some heavier shorts with pockets, so that I could carry money and buy a drink during the run.  That worked out well.

I’m familiar with the Butler University area, so I decided to start there.  The plan was to run to Broad Ripple, if it wasn’t too far.  That is a small bar district.  There is another trail that goes off of the canal trail that I planned on taking to there.

I began by parking in the Hinkle Fieldhouse parking lot.  The central canal towpath was a short distance away.  I was still mildly sore from yesterday’s hard work out, so I started out by walking briefly.  I then began running toward the path.  The good thing is that I began with a downhill run.

Right as I got to the road to the canal towpath, I came to another runner.  He was going faster than me.  I decided to just hang behind him.  It was weird running somewhere with other people that are faster than me.  I sort of tried to keep up and I certainly could’ve on a shorter run, but I wasn’t about to kill myself this early on.

Of course he was turning the same direction as I planned on going on the towpath.  It was weird because early on, the path became a road.  It wasn’t busy at all, but it was definitely something different.

There were people running, walking and biking this area, but I figured that there would actually be more of them.  It was far from crowded.  The weather was great for a run too, so that should not have kept people away.

Time seemed to fly by on the towpath.  I started with a slow 9:00 mile 1.  After that, I went only slightly faster.  I heard a car break behind me and I think a guy on a bike almost got hit at an intersection.  There were quite a few intersections, but they didn’t slow me down much.

There were plenty of geese and ducks near the canal.  Some of the ducks were in the grass right next to the path and a lot of them were sleeping.  They had their heads down.  That was neat and I wish I had a picture.

I cruised along and before I knew it, I was at Broad Ripple.  I crossed intersections were I could and ended up running right through the main bar area.  It was still early, but there were people out.

Just north of the main road was the trail that I was looking for.  It is an old rail trail called the Monon Trail.  It was really cool.  It was all paved from where I ran it to the north.  By Broad Ripple was cool because of all the bars and cafes.  Farther down, it was neat because it was surrounded by woods and felt like it was secluded and not in the city.

There were many more people here than on the canal path.  Early on, it was difficult to even get around them.  There were plenty of families, runners and bikers (including some nice looking ladies).

I really had no game plan for here.  I figured that I would be able to get a drink back in Broad Ripple, when I turned back around.  The farther I got out, the less likely that I would find a place to stop for a drink.

I was sore in the first few miles of the run, but by now, things were pretty good.  I got into a groove with a nice and easy pace.  Most of the miles on this section were within the 8:20 to 8:30 range.  It was definitely easy.

I noticed the trail markers and figured out that they trail would go 4 miles out before ending.  I wasn’t sure if I would want to go that far, but then I figured that I might as well.  That would put me 7 miles into the run.  Getting back to Broad Ripple would be another 4 miles, so I’d hit mile 11 then.

I continued on through the peaceful setting.  I then arrived at a Kroger.  I thought that that might be a good place to get a drink, but then figured that it was too early.  I would’ve continued on the trail, but it was a busy road crossing, so I turned around.  I was at mile 6 at this point.

Although the miles were flying by, I still couldn’t believe that it was only mile 6.  I felt like I had run through the whole city.  I started at around 52nd Street and had to be near 90th Street when I turned around.  On the way back and dog jumped out in front of me to chase a squirrel.  That was a funny incident.

I just clicked off the miles.  One of the odd things was that most of the runners seemed to be going the opposite way of me.  I didn’t pass any of them or they didn’t pass me.  Then a guy had turned around and he passed me around the outside of the trail.  He was moving pretty well.  I decided to pick up the pace.  It wasn’t too hard to stay with him.  I knew I was only about a mile from Broad Ripple (and my drink stop anyway).  I kept with him for about ¾ of a mile.  Then I slowed a bit.  After consistent 8:30 miles, this one was a nice 7:37.  Later in my training, I’ll have to incorporate some faster segments into my long runs.
 
I found a CVS and went there for a Gatorade.  I was going to buy an energy bar too, but they didn’t have any that I could find, so I opted for a candy bar.  At this point, I was at mile 9.40.  I did stop briefly at a water fountain within the previous 2 miles, so that did help.

I then continued back on the canal path.  I was quickly reminded why I hate carrying drinks.  The Gatorade was so uncomfortable.  Also, my legs felt funny after the brief stop.  After a while, they came back to me again.  I was glad for that.

Although it wasn’t hot, I began to have some chafing issues.  My nipples were getting quite sore.  I was planning on running back to the car anyway, so I figured that I would change shirts.  Before I knew it, I was back to Butler.  Now, that fun downhill in the beginning was a difficult uphill.  Factor in that I was 12 miles into the run and it wasn’t fun at all.  I made it up though.  That must be the only hill in the whole city.  Almost all of Indianapolis is flat.

I changed and stopped briefly for some water.  My plan now was to head the other direction on the canal path.  I ran that way and began getting a little sore.  My right quad was a problem, but that hamstring was getting tight as well.  I probably should’ve stretched at the car.  I just kept focusing on getting to the next half mile or mile.  I was struggling and it wasn't easy to keep going.

As I got about 1 ½ miles from Butler, I realized that I would likely be able to at least get 15 miles in.  That made me happy.  This area was now familiar to me.  I ran a lot of it last year.  It was nice and peaceful, but not much activity.  I did spot quite a few fast runners going the other way.

I was planning on turning around at 14.5 miles, but I convinced myself to keep going for some reason.  Not long after that, a super attractive girl went flying by in the other direction.  I decided to turn around and give chase to her.  She definitely could’ve pulled be through a few miles and I was really hurting at that point.  I tried to keep up, but she continued to pull away.  Maybe I could’ve run that pace on a shorter day, but definitely not today.  Not long after seeing her, she disappeared.  I guess she went off the path.

I struggled through miles 15 and then 16.  The good news though is that my pace was still consistent.  It was under 9 minute miles and I was going steady.  It’s just that my hamstring and the rest of my legs were hurting.

If I would’ve run back to my car, it would’ve been over 17 miles.  However, I didn't want to try to battle up that hill again.  Not this late in a long run.  I wanted to stay on the canal path, so I did that.  I started in the other direction, but quickly turned around.  I then went out a little bit to mile 17.  A few minutes earlier, I decided that I would at least try to run for 2 ½ hours since I was closing in on that time.  I barely went past 17 miles when I hit that point and I stopped my run there.  I could’ve willed my way to 18 miles, but it would not have been easy.

I had some post run issues.  I was sore as I mentioned and continued to have chafing problems.  This time, it was in some other areas as well.  I even had my shirt off at the end of the run to prevent more problems.  I knew I was dehydrated too, so I drank more water.  However, I cramped up badly when I tried to get out of the car back at the camper.  Sitting too long was a problem.

It was still a very productive run that I’m happy with.  I can’t believe that I have to go at least 6 miles farther than that in training and 9 more miles for the marathon in September.  I hope one day I can get to a point where 17 miles isn’t too hard on the legs.  I’m just not strong enough for that now and haven’t done enough long runs throughout my life.

These last few workouts weren't planned that way, but they followed the Hansons' marathon training style.  The idea is to run shorter long runs, but run them the day after a hard workout.  That is supposed to give the legs the impact of what running the end of the marathon feels like.  I did think today might actually be harder, but I have to say it was quite taxing by the end.  I just figured that it would feel worse earlier on.

I’m limping around today, so I’m very sure that I’ll be super sore tomorrow.  That means that I’ll be taking off.  My friend Bill invited me to a pool party on Monday and I’ll also be driving home that morning.  Squeezing in a run will be difficult, but I’ll manage.  This should be a solid week, but I don’t want to overdo it.  Maybe next week I can get a 20 miler in.  Only time will tell.

17.15 miles – 2:30:01 (8:45 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment