Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Half Marathon Recovery Run

After Saturday's hilly half marathon, I was very sore on Sunday and took off.  I decided to get a massage on Monday, since my sister got me a gift card for Christmas.  That was great and just what my body needed.  It left me feeling good today.  I probably need to get those more often as well as give myself massages.

I decided that I would run this afternoon for the first time since my race.  I didn't feel like going to the usual places, so I decided to head to Freemansburg and run the D&L section there.  It isn't bad, but I'm not a big fan of that area because it has changing terrain.  Also, that town does seem a little shady.

I started walking along the canal towpath.  For some reason, I couldn't get a satellite signal.  I walked and walked and walked with no luck.  It was odd because it was a clear day and I wasn't in the middle of nowhere or blocked by buildings.  I probably walked almost half a mile with no luck.  I then turned around and headed back.  I decided that I would try running at Sand Island if I could get a signal.

Of course right as I was just about at my car, a signal finally came through and I began my run.  The walk was full of wildlife.  I saw some pretty ducks and I think even a beaver swimming in the water.  Now, it was on to running and getting focused.

The reason I did want to run in Freemansburg and need to run there more frequently is because my marathon course is on this path.  I need more practice there and to become more familiar with the course.

Instead of heading east as I originally planned, I started off going west towards downtown Bethlehem.  I didn't want to go too far out there.  It was super hot today, in the mid 80s, and there wasn't much cover in that direction.

I started off slow, but I was a little tight in the beginning of the run. I guess that would be a better way to describe it, since I wasn't sore.  It was just that my right quad was stiff.  I'm not sure if that was from the half marathon, my previous training, the massage or any combination of the three.

I had to be careful because I was definitely favoring that leg and I ran with different form.  Luckily, it didn't take long until it came around.  Some of this part of the trail is uneven.  There is some stone, but the nice thing is that a lot of it is very soft dirt.  It sure isn't hard on the legs.

I went out cruising along.  The path was pretty crowded.  I passed two guys going the other way.  One guy was going slow and wearing long pants.  I can't imagine that, as I was dieing in just a singlet and shorts.  The other guy looked a little more like a runner, although he did have on a Yeungling shirt.  I'm pretty sure they don't make technical gear.

There was a little bit of a breeze in this direction, so that was nice.  It was an easy 8:37 first mile.  I actually didn't go all the way to the mile point before turning around.  I was about .05 miles short of that.  I wanted to go out a little farther, but I came across a few geese with some young.  The trail was narrow there and I didn't want them to feel cornered.  I know that Philly geese are used to people and usually aren't aggressive.  These geese, I'm not so sure about.

On the way back, I saw the Yuengling guy again going in the other direction.  Just as I was passed where I parked my car, I came to the long pants guy going the same way as me.  He was going so slow and even though I was taking it easy, I blew right by him.

By this point, I was feeling good.  My legs felt better and fairly fresh and the heat had not taken its toll yet.  Right as I passed the guy, I came to mile 2.  That mile was a solid 8:21.  This time I ran through some geese.  Thankfully, they moved out of the way and I was able to do so safely. 

Heading east was the direction that the race goes.  It seemed quite easy and I'm thinking that it is downhill.  I cruised along.  I was on to more of a stone path when I got out of Freemansburg.  There were quite a few people out, but it was far from crowded.  The annoying thing is that the walkers block the path and I have to yell so that they move.

The second group of walkers that I had to do this for were some kids that looked high school age.  It was kind of funny because right as I was approaching, some guys boating in the water yelled really loud.  They startled the kids and they turned around and saw me coming and got out of my way.  As I ran by them, I said, "that wasn't me yelling, but that worked out perfectly."  It was great timing.

Two cute women were running the other direction as I went out.  I hit mile three with a speedy 8:06.  Towards the end of this mile, I started to feel it from the heat.

I told myself to just relax.  I wanted to get another half mile out and then turn around to complete the run.  It was getting kind of hard to breathe, even running easy.  The combination of the humidity and the pollen were taking their toll.  At one point, everything was calm and I could just really feel the heat.

I made it to three and a half miles and then turned around.  I just focused on getting to mile four.  At that point, I knew I could finish.  Somewhere around there, I came across those kids again.  They were hanging out with some other kids in the water.  Some other guy was walking away from them and looking pissed.  I just ignored him because he did look kind of shady.

I hit mile four at 8:23.  Coming back was a little more challenging as it seemed slightly uphill.  At least there was a little bit of a breeze.  The two cute women were walking now.  I was also passed by another attractive woman who was riding a bike.

The final half mile was so difficult.  I was along the canal behind Freemansburg.  There was no shade.  It was so incredibly hot.  Even with the easy effort, another mile would've been a struggle.  It was just such an unseasonable day.  With the sun shining though, I won't complain.

I just tried to focus on each tenth of a mile.  Finally, I was done.  The last mile was back to a quick 8:09.  I was exhausted and soaked when I finished.  It was so good to be done.  There is something so rewarding about a tough workout in the heat.  I just wish I didn't sweat so easily.

My friend Tom posted asking if anyone wanted to go for an evening run.  I had posted the same thing at almost the same time.  I decided to just alone though and was glad that I did, so that I could run at my own pace.  The Emmaus Run Inn had their group run tonight, but I would've pushed too hard if I went there.  I can never hold back with a fast group.

After some early stiffness, I felt great the rest of the run.  If I could manage to run feeling this way all summer, that would be a big plus.  Maybe I'll have to go to more regular massages.  I'd like to take it easier, but that will make it hard to qualify for Boston.  It is a fine line.  I know I need more quality workouts though than quantity.

Tomorrow should be interesting.  I have to run in the morning because I am leaving for Indianapolis in the afternoon.  I don't know if I work or not.  Complicating things more is that I haven't run Trexler this week.  I need to go there or I'll end my weekly running streak there.  It'll be an early morning run.  I'm thinking that it is probably just another easy 5 miles.  I need to be careful.  On Thursday, I'm running in Indianapolis.  I will likely do so hard, but I'm think it will be short segments, so that I don't overdo it.  I look forward to some great running in a different city later on in the week.

5 miles - 41:36 (8:19 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment