Friday, May 10, 2013

A Humid Seven

After running pretty hard yesterday, I wanted to do an easier run today.  I did want to run a little longer.  I didn't work this morning, but I still waited until mid afternoon to head out.  I decided to go to the Saucon Rail Trail.

I haven't run the whole trail often, so I was hoping to do that today.  I think the only time I actually did that, I ran from the park near DeSales.  From the Water Street Park, I've never gone more than 3 to 3.5 miles.

It was very warm and humid.  After cutting the grass, I finally made it out to run.  By then, the temperature was nearing 80 degrees.  I knew I'd have to take it easier and slow down.  I wore a singlet and some ligthweight shorts.  That was a big help.  I did have some chafing under my arm because it was actually quite breezy.

I still wore my watch, but it was only to occasionally see where I was at from a distance standpoint.  I would check my pace too, but that didn't matter.  I don't often go out and just run and enjoy it.  I need to take in my surroundings more often and run free.  Usually, I'm too focused on the run and/or how my body is reacting.  Sometimes, I just need to let my mind wander.  I was at least somewhat successful at that today.

The trail was busy as usual, although I thought even more people might be out on such a nice afternoon.  While my legs felt good pre-run, I was worried that last night's hard effort might have taken a toll.  I was very happy when I started out easy and felt pretty good.  There was still some soreness in the legs, particularly in the calf area, but it is still much better than it has been.  Resting more this week has surely helped.

The first mile was so slow in fact that I finished it up at 9:01.  The second mile sped up and was an 8:27.  That would actually be perfect.  If only my legs were feeling great right now.  Then, I could slow down and still feel good.  The problem is that slowing down doesn't make the run feel easier.  Often times, if feel worse with more footfalls and more impact with the ground. 

I did try to just cruise along comfortably.  Some sections have leaves on the trees, but others are still developing.  Shade would have definitely been nice.  Near the country club, they paved a parking lot of the trail recently.  I could smell the fresh tar and feel the heat coming off of it.  Not exactly what I had in mind for taking in the surroundings.

I felt pretty good around the 2 mile point when I hit the Upper Saucon section of the trail, but I felt even better when I got on that part.  They use more stone there and it felt softer for my legs.  I wasn't feeling bad, but it sure did seem like awhile until I made it all the way to the end.  It was kind of a slow grind.

I turned around right near the park, where the trail turns to pavement.  That was just under 4 miles into the run.  I was feeling alright at this point, but I was also getting thirsty.  I think there is a water fountain at the park.  Maybe I should've run to there.

Coming back was so awesome.  I didn't run any harder, but now I was going downhill and I was just cruising.  I love the feeling of coming back on this trail.  The first half is a little bit of hard work, but the second half makes it all worth it.

I tried to just focus on each upcoming mile.  First, mile 5.  My legs felt good during this one.  I just let them and gravity pull me along.  That mile was a solid 7:59.

I think I slowed some after that.  Still, I don't think I slowed as much as my Garmin said.  It stated that I ran mile 6 at an 8:55 pace.  The last quarter mile seemed off and it was a little cloudy, so that might've messed with the signal.

Although my legs were feeling pretty good, the humidity was getting to me.  I decided that I would cut the run a mile shorter than I had planned.  I would just run 7 miles.  That would still be a solid day in these conditions.

I passed a woman that I had passed earlier on the way out.  I did it just before a road crossing.  I saw one car, so I bolted across the crossing.  However, I didn't see the first car.  Luckily, it had already stopped.  When I was coming the other way, I saw two young ladies walking.  They were now running back the other direction.  That was good to see.  I always like to see new runners.

When I got into the final mile, I was feeling good, so I picked it up a little.  I really began cruising and was working pretty hard.  I certainly wasn't in top gear, but it was a good pace nonetheless.  I passed two guys just before finishing up.  The final mile was a 7:09.  It was another good finish just like yesterday.

I would definitely benefit a lot if I could run on fresh legs.  That would make many of my workouts more productive.  That is a big goal for me this coming summer.  I just need more quality sessions, not quantity.  My endurance is already pretty good.  It is my speed that is lacking.

I walked back to my car and I saw a young girl walking a dog.  I thought it looked like Saucon Valley's star runner, but I was wondering why she wasn't running at that time.  I always wondered why I never see the team there.  I'm there a lot around the time they would practice.  After passing her, I saw a couple high school age guys and then in a nearby park was their coach and the rest of the girls.  It was definitely their team.  I'm still not sure why the fast girl wasn't running though.

I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do tomorrow.  A lot of the BCR people are running a 5K.  I may watch.  The rest of the BCR is meeting elsewhere.  Then there is the T-Rex Group Run.  I also thought about going out to preview my half marathon course.  I will be do some running, just not sure yet where or when.

7.01 miles - 58:18 (8:19 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment