Saturday, May 11, 2013

Struggling Through Six

Yesterday's run went a little better than most of this week, but today's run was back to being crappy.  After an easy 8 miles yesterday, I was looking for an easy 6 miles today.  I was tired, so I slept in a little and didn't get to any of the early morning runs or races.

Instead, I ran just before noon.  I used to run all the time on the Nor-Bath Trail, but I haven't been there much at all since I took 3 weeks off in December.  I recall one run there when it was snow covered, but that is about it.  It is nice in that it is close, but I really don't care much for the trail.  It's just a boring run through farm fields.

I was only looking to do an easy 6 miles, so I figured I could handle it.  It is supposed to rain off and on today.  Most of the run it was cloudy with some breeze.  However, it was unbelievably humid.  I had on a normal short sleeve tech shirt and even it was soaked by the end.

I like to start at Bicentennial Park.  That way, I can run in both directions.  The plan was about a mile out and a mile back as I first headed towards Bath.  I then wanted to turn around and do the remainder of the run in the other direction.

I started off pretty slow.  I wasn't sore or in pain, but my legs felt so dead and sluggish.  Maybe last week is still getting to me.  I did cut my mileage in half this week, but that might not have been enough.  I guess I may need more rest.

I passed a couple people running the other direction.  I think they were starting from the far end when I was driving to the park.  Not too many people were out running.  I mostly just saw bikers and some walkers.  This trail is rarely used heavily.

I got out to mile 1 in a slow 9:01.  I was happy with that though, because I really don't want to push it.  I wish I could start out this slow more often.  I only seem to do it when my legs are kind of dead, like today.  Then, it takes them awhile to come around.

I saw a cat in the trail at one point.  He moved out of the way.  This was a busy run for animals.  I saw at least one squirrel, two chipmunks, a groundhog and either a groundhog or beaver.  Whatever the last one was, it was climbing a tree.

I did get better and better as the run went on, but still typically felt like crap.  After a mile, I decided that I would just keep going.  I normally don't go any farther in this direction, because I'd have to cross busy Airport Road.  I did have to wait briefly, but it wasn't too bad.  I couldn't believe that the 2nd mile wasn't faster than 8:50, but waiting did cost me a few seconds there.

I just decided I would continue on as far I could go.  The farther out I could get, the less I'd have to run back in the other direction.  I turned around at the end of the trail somewhere past 2.33 miles.

I headed back and continued to feel like crap.  My shirt was soaked and my legs were dead.  I actually considered quitting at 3 miles.  I would've had a long walk back.  I just focused on getting to mile 4.

I kept hoping it would rain, but it never did.  Now as I write this, it is pouring and there is some thunder.  Maybe I did get the run in just in time. 

I think this direction was downhill, but really I'm not even sure.  This trail is definitely pretty flat as neither direction seems much easier.  I struggled along.  I got to mile 4 and ran that in a solid 8:10.

I thought I had already come to the park entrance shortly after 4 miles, but I realized that I was wrong.  I didn't actually get there until 4.75 miles.

I was hoping that I could relax and enjoy this run, but since I felt like such crap, I was never able to do so.  I knew I could battle my way to mile 6, but I wasn't looking forward to that.  I just concentrated on smaller segments.

When I got to the next road crossing, I decided that I would either keep going if the road was clear or turn around if it wasn't.  I ended up turning around at 5.36 miles.  That 5th mile had actually gone under 8 minutes.

I wasn't feeling strong, but I wanted to get it over with, so I pushed a little more on the way back.  Finally, with about half a mile to go, I took my soaked shirt off.  That was quite the relief.  I probably should've done it earlier as the humidity just beat me down.  I finished with a strong 7:52 last mile.  I was just past the park entrance.  It was good to be done.

I was so exhausted when this run was over.  The humidity certainly got to me and clearly last week's high mileage week is still wearing on me.  I suspect my allergies are causing me problems too.  They were way worse when I was a kid and don't seem to bother me much now.  I still suspect they might be having some impact on my breathing and just how I feel in general during runs.  The trees have been going pretty crazy lately.  That was one nice thing about city running and living, a lack of trees and green space.  I really stopped having major allergy problems when I was down in Philadelphia.

Originally, I was thinking of a 10 mile run for tomorrow, possibly on the course for next week's race.  Now, I'm not sure if I'll even run at all.  The only thing I'm certain about is that I'll run Trexler once next week, to keep the streak alive.  Other than that, I don't think I'll be running much.  Dave is leading a trail run at Lehigh tomorrow morning as well.  I might give it a go. 

Clearly, my body needs more rest.  Maybe I can get enough before next Saturday and then I can run a good half marathon.  I'm not hopeful though and after this week, I certainly don't have my sights set very high for the race.  I'll just see how I feel and see how it goes.  Maybe I'll surprise myself.

6 miles - 50:32 (8:25 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment