Thursday, March 14, 2013

Winter Won't Leave

I was too busy yesterday, so I didn't run.  That means I'll have 3 straight days of running.  That started out today with the LVRR Group Run.  We finally have daylight for this run, thanks to moving the clocks.  Unfortunately, winter decided to make an appearance tonight.

After about a week of nice weather, it looked like we might be turning the corner.  Instead, it was extremely windy and cold again today.  The temperature was in the mid 30s with a windchill making it feel about 10 degrees colder.  It was definitely among the worst days of this winter and very frustrating.  There was one run on the Saucon Rail Trail that was colder, but that was all that I can remember that was definitely worse.

I wore the usual cold weather gear.  I had on my ColdGear top and long pants.  I wore a fleece vest and had gloves and a headband on.  With the sun out, it wasn't quite cold enough for a full hat.  The sun was the only thing that made the run bearable.

Not surprisingly, no one showed up to join me again.  I really need some daylight and good weather to get this run cranking.  Since I was alone and didn't want to run in the windy South Bethlehem area, I decided to head over to the Saucon Rail Trail.  That gave me a softer surface to run on too.

I started off at Water Street, like I usually do.  I went nice and slow.  I was tired this afternoon and had little energy, so I was glad there was no one there to push me.  Even though I felt like I was barely moving, I was surprised to see my pace at 8:17 early on.  I did slow down and came through the first mile at 8:36.

I just cruised along and tried to enjoy the run as much as I could.  The wind seemed to always be there though.  I rarely caught a break from it.  I just pushed along.  Early on, there was a firing range nearby.  That was kind of annoying and it sure destroyed the peace of running.  I'm just glad I don't live near there.

The second mile wasn't easy.  The plan was to go out 2 miles and then head back for 4 miles total.  I was also hoping maybe I could get 5 miles in.  Even though I wasn't doing all that great when I got to mile 2, I kept going.  The wind had died briefly.  When I ran there with Shayne during the group run a couple weeks ago, coming back was much easier than going back.  I figured I could battle to mile 2.5 and things would get better.

I turned around at that point and then really started flying.  The course definitely goes downhill on the way back.  I certainly wasn't pushing any harder or even very hard at all.  It was nice and easy.  That third mile dropped to an 8:13.

My pace kept falling and I felt better and better as the run went along.  Mile 4 was very speedy.  It was a 7:52.  Before I knew it, I was nearing the final road crossing.  I had a lot of wind in my face as I finished up at the Water Street Park.  That last mile was a faster 7:40.  It felt good to be done.

Again, my calf was a little sore.  I wish I could run without any soreness.  Maybe if I lose some weight.  That is something I really need to work on.  I definitely need to add a lot more exercising to my routine.  Whether that is another run or biking, it doesn't matter.  I need to do something.  I'm getting quite fat.  I've put on almost 60 pounds in the last year.  I'm nearly up to the heaviest weight I ever was.  That's pretty crazy too, considering how much I run.

I know I need to eat better.  Nutrition is just so frustrating.  It takes so much effort to learn what is good to eat and what isn't.  It is also annoying trying to find those healthy things to eat.  I wish we lived in a country where I could eat "normal" and eat healthy.  The more likely solution to my weight gain problem is to workout more.  That is something I can commit more to.  I'm definitely not eating well, but I also have to think that the medicine that I'm on for my Crohn's Disease is part of the issue with my weight gain as well.

Tomorrow, I'm hoping to make my weekly trip to Trexler.  If I get some time, I'd also like to try to fix my flat bike tire.  When it gets warmer out, there will be no excuses for not riding.  I think I might use the bike training portion of a Half Ironman training plan and incorporate that in with my running.  Maybe that will allow me to burn more calories, lose more weight, get stronger and fitter and of course run faster too.  I definitely need to "up" my training.

5 miles - 40:49 (8:10 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment