Friday, March 22, 2013

Keeping the Streak Alive

I headed out to Trexler for my run today.  The plan was just for a very easy run, 3 or at most 4 miles.  If I didn't have the streak going of running there every week, I wouldn't have made the trip out.  However, this is now my 9th week in a row going out there and 10th run in that time period.

As always, the weather kind of sucked at Trexler.  Just once, it would be nice to be able to run there in shorts and short sleeves.  Instead, it was long pants, a ColdGear top, a fleece vest, gloves and a headband.  As usual, the wind was just brutal at the Environmental Center.

I squeezed this run in at lunchtime.  I started off nice and easy for a change.  Sometimes, I probably go out too hard when I run at Trexler.  I pay for it on the early hill.  The hill was tough as always, but definitely seemed much easier than usual.  I made it up the first two segments of it with no breathing problems.  Those didn't arrive until the last third of the hill and even then I didn't slow too much.  This might have been the best that I've ever handled the hill.

I had to recover after the hill.  Breathing in some cold air didn't help.  This area was better as it wasn't nearly as windy as the top.  Still, it wasn't easy.  I did recover on the downhill and than ran uphill past the bison.  They were right out near the edge of their pen.  That was cool.  It was probably as close as I have ever been to them.  I remember that for the longest time I didn't see them outside, but they have been out all winter.

Some of the flat section after the bison area was tricky.  It always seems to be a little muddy.  I recovered well though.  I then finished up the 1st mile at 9:48.  That is probably around 30 seconds slower than I usually run it.  I was trying to survive the run though.

I came through the rock area and twisted my ankle a bit.  It bothered me for a minute or two, but it wasn't that bad.  It is always hard to see the rocks because this section is usually windy and my eyes water.  The rocks are also sharp.  On the way back, I ran around the rocks as much as possible.

I started up the long hill, but that didn't last.  Before I knew it, I was at 1.5 miles and headed back to the start.  The second half of the run was definitely going to be the tough part.  It was a lot more uphill.  Having partially run these hills last week, I knew that none of them would be tough on their own.  As a whole though, things would be difficult.

I nearly gave up before I barely even got going up the hills.  The short, but steep first hill usually crushes me.  I was already thinking of quitting before I even started the hill.  It wasn't that bad though and I made it to the top and then was on to a flatter section.  Getting past this hill and over the 2 mile point was a huge hurdle.

I just continued to take my time and cruise up the hills.  I haven't been able to make it back in this direction all winter.  I figured I could make most of the hills, but the last steep one back to the Environmental Center would be the real challenge.

Finally, I was on to the final hill.  Just as I expected, it was difficult.  It was tough to get some good footing too.  At 2.92 miles, I just gave up and turned around and ran back down the hill.  Then I had to go up a shorter hill to finish.  I was so close and disappointed that I had quit.  I just don't think I could've made it to the top though.  I really didn't want to have to walk. 

I didn't make it quite as far as I would've liked, but I made progress and was close.  I now know that I can go out farther and make it back since these last hills would be the hardest part.  Going farther out isn't much more difficult, until I get to the very steep hills near the end.

I really can't wait for some warmer weather.  I want to see what I can do.  I can't wait to run the whole loop and then improve upon that.  Today's weather was actually difficult because it was hot in the areas where there was no wind.  I was sweating quite a bit.

Tomorrow is the BCR run.  I am hoping to make it out.  As usual, that is dependent on my sleep tonight.  They are running nearby at the Nor-Bath Trail, so that should be easier to make it to.  On Sunday, Shayne is running the St. Luke's course.  I might join them, but I am worried about how my foot will hold up.  I don't know if it can handle 12 or more miles of pavement.  Rather than continuing to build up my miles, I probably just need to run 35 to 40 miles weekly for quite some time.  Maybe my body can adapt better.

3 miles - 28:25 (9:29 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment