Saturday, March 23, 2013

Nor-Bath Solo Run

I actually slept well on a Friday night for a change.  The problem was that the temperature was just brutal in the early morning.  It was supposed to be in the mid 20s with the wind chill in the teens.  I either had to battle that and run with the BCR or run on my own later, in some better weather.

I chose the second option.  I just am so sick of the cold and didn't want to have to deal with it again.  I started off an 11 AM and it was actually still cold.  I was glad that I didn't run earlier.  The sun was out, but as usual, it was still very windy.  Originally, I had on a ColdGear top, but I knew that with a jacket on top, that would be too much.  I wore a lightweight long sleeve shirt with a jacket and tights.  I also had on gloves and a headband.

Although I didn't run with the BCR, I did like their idea of where to run.  They ran at the Nor-Bath Trail and I decided to do the same.  It is a softer surface and nice and close.  Plus, I actually haven't been there in quite some time.

I started off a Bicentennial Park and headed west.  This start was so tough because it was right into a strong headwind.  I was freezing and had to battle to get anywhere.  That said, I still took off my gloves and headband pretty early on.

The first mile was a slow and comfortable 8:43.  I just took it easy.  Most of this path runs through fields was pretty uneventful.  There were a few people walking dogs, but not much else.  I just focused on getting to the turn around point.

I ran the second mile at 8:11.  Somewhere in this area, the trail is paved.  My sore calves definitely noticed the transition.  It was nice to get back onto the softer stuff later on.

At 2.5 miles, I turned around.  Going the other direction made such a different.  Suddenly, I was way overdressed and sweating like crazy.  I just continued to cruise along and countdown the mileage.  I was happy to get over all the road crossings with no issues.

The time for the third mile was 8:25 and the fourth was 8:09.  It felt good to nearly be done.  I also knew I was now over 30 miles for the week.  Technically, I came up just short of that last week.  This week, I finished with 32 miles.

I finished up right at Bicentennial Park with an 8:00 final mile.  It was good to be done.  There were a bunch of firetrucks at the park.  At first, I was confused.  Then I realized that people were putting Easter eggs in a field.  I guess some kids will be having fun this afternoon.

Spring just can't get here quick enough.  I dream of the days when I can wear shorts and short sleeves all the time.  I know they'll get here eventually, but this winter has been so draining.  I usually look forward to my runs, but I'm starting to get tired of them thanks to this weather.

I'm not sure yet if I'll run my long run tomorrow or on Monday.  I might run with Shayne and her friends on the St. Luke's Half Marathon course tomorrow.  Some of that could depend on when I get to sleep tonight after coming back from Hershey.  It will also depend on the weather and if I want to run that many miles on pavement.  I'm not sure, since my calves continue to be quite sore and I have now run four straight days.  A day off certainly wouldn't hurt, but I'd also like to run the course.  I might take my group run there later in the week, if I think it is a good idea.

5 miles - 41:28 (8:18 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment