Wednesday, August 15, 2012

One of the Toughest Workouts Ever

With the weather changing around by the minute yesterday and it looking like the same thing would happen today, I elected to just run today's workout whenever I had an opportunity.  I didn't wake until almost 11 and it was clear, so I headed right out the door.

I ran this speedwork session on the D&L Trail.  This is the site of my half marathon, so I want to get there often.  I think my Wednesday speed sessions will probably rotate between here, the Irtonton Rail Trail and the Nor-Bath Trail.  My regular training partner is out of town, so I was on my own.

Last week, Kelley and I ran 6 X .5 mile repeats with .25 mile active recoveries.  This week I just added a 7th half mile repeat to the workout.  I felt comfortable after last week's 6, so I didn't think this would be too hard.  I was sure mistaken.

I got out of my car and already could tell it was going to be very hot.  I went with just shorts, no shirt.  I was almost defeated before I started as I was thinking there is no way I could complete all 7 reps under a 7 minute per mile pace.  Not only was it hot, but the trail run yesterday beat me up pretty good.  My legs weren't fully recovered yet.  That said, I tried to mentally block all that out and stay positive.  I need to think this way more often.

Those legs of mine were in top notch form for these Wednesday runs each of the last few weeks, but not today.  I could definitely feel it as I began my slow mile warmup.  They did start coming around by the end of the mile though.  I could still tell they weren't going to be sharp today.  I was just going to have to grind it out.

Grind it out is just what I did.  I didn't even feel good on the first repeat.  The second fast repeat wasn't much better either.  My legs seemed to start each rep well, but then faded toward the end.  That said, I managed to hold on and keep each rep under goal pace.

The third fast repeat was really tough.  I was hurting a lot and already breathing heavy.  I wasn't even half way into the workout and I was already struggling more than any point last week.  Again, I hit my mark for this repeat, but wasn't sure how I'd do any more.

I just focused on getting through that fourth rep and getting into the second half of my run.  The plan was to turn around shortly after the fourth rep.  It seems like the route is slightly uphill on the way out and slightly downhill on the way back.  I figured if that was the case, just getting past the turnaround would be a big help.

The fourth rep was definitely killer.  I was breathing heavy, but I just kept pushing and pushing.  Every tenth of a mile seemed like forever.  Maybe I looked at my watch too frequently.  I came into the sun as I finished up.  It was very tough, but again I was under goal pace.

Just turning around was mentally refreshing.  I now knew I was in the back half of the run.  Again this fifth rep was difficult.  I just kept battling the clock.  The good thing is that as long as you are close to goal pace, just picking it up slightly can put you under it.  I was able to start fast a lot of times and just hang on throughout the rep.

Once I got through five fast repeats, I was very happy.  I figured that even if I wasn't able to hit goal pace on the last two, at least I could complete them and I still had five good reps in.  I definitely ran smarter on the final two reps.  I started off slower on each one and saved myself for the final quarter mile.  That allowed me to have something in the tank to push through the end.  It wasn't easy, but I completed the sixth rep again under goal pace.

My legs were very beat and my breathing was so heavy.  I absolutely had no idea how I'd hit my goal pace for the final repeat.  Honestly, I just hoped to complete the repeat with a fairly hard effort.  I didn't think I could hang on to the pace any longer.  As I was nearing the start of this rep, I came upon a road crossing and a slight uphill.  I didn't want to start there, so I gave myself a little extra recovery.  Instead of .25 miles, it was actually .33 miles.  I'm sure that helped.

The final repeat was so hard.  I started off comfortable and my pace showed almost 8 minutes.  I was ready to give up.  Then it readjusted and was back right around 7 minute pace.  As I approached the halfway point of this rep, it was just over 7 minute pace.  Even though I was struggling, I knew I could dig down and pull out another hard .25 miles.  I did just that.  It was tough, but I kept pushing and pushing.  I wasn't shooting to make this my fastest repeat, but that's what ended up happening.  I completed the hard portion of the run with a 6:48 minute pace for the final half mile.  It was a huge relief.

Although I don't feel like I ran too consistent throughout each fast segment, my times by the end of each .5 mile portion were very consistent.  For the first six, they varied in total time from 3:25 to 3:27 (6:52 pace to 6:57 pace).  The final repeat was a bit faster at 3:23 (6:48 pace).  The downhill certainly helped on the back half, or at least the perception of downhill running did.  

I think the heat was a huge factor today.  My shorts were completely soaked by the end.  Of course a car pulled up while I was trying to change from running shorts to regular shorts in my car.  Thankfully, I had a towel on.  I definitely need to keep getting up early for these days, like Kelley and I did last week.  That will make a huge difference.  I'm thinking that in a few weeks, I want to switch to mile repeats.  That could be very tough.  Obviously we'll run less repeats, but even so I can't imagine holding that pace for a mile at a time.  Maybe it will be easier as we get faster.  Perhaps I should just transition us to .75 mile repeats first.  I guess I'll have to see how things play out.

Even though I complained about the heat during this run, running in the hot weather actually isn't that bad.  I don't enjoy being soaked, but I am so used to it by now.  People ask me how I can run in the middle of the day during the summer, but your body does adapt and it isn't too difficult after awhile.  Running with some shade sure helps too.  Don't get me wrong, I can't wait for the cooler temperatures of the fall.  Dealing with this heat will make me so much stronger when the better conditions come in down the road.  I can't wait to see what my times will be like in two months.  I wanted to run with a friend this week, but he complained that it is too hot to run outside this time of year.  Of course, he won't run outside in the cold either.  I won't run inside ever!

As I finished up, a young woman was completing her run too.  I couldn't believe she was wearing a cotton shirt and three quarter length sweatpants.  Even more amazing, it didn't look like she was sweating.  She commented that I'm the only runner she ever sees there.  I don't ever remember seeing her before, but I have run there fairly often.  It is mostly bikes and walkers.  I think I saw two or three other runners today as well.  She told me she is just getting back to running and is up to 4 miles and 26 minutes.  There is no way she is that fast.  Maybe 36 minutes, but even that would be pushing it.  I just let it slide.  I also told her she should find a group to run with, although I didn't offer up the LVRR or BCR Group Runs like I probably should have.

This was an awesome workout.  I can't remember when I taxed my body like that.  It has sure been awhile, if ever.  I need to run harder like this more often.  I usually run comfortably hard, but I often stick to the end of my comfort zone and don't go beyond it.  There is no point in killing myself all the time, but I should do it with more frequency.  It will make me mentally stronger, that is for sure.  That is an area I need to improve upon.

What I like about my Wednesday to Thursday schedule is the recovery time.  I usually complete my run by early afternoon on Wednesday and the Thursday group runs are at 6 in the evening.  That typically gives me around 30 hours to recover from Wednesday's hard workout.

I will need all that recovery time between now and tomorrow.  That is for sure.  With Kelley gone, I'm hoping I can run very easy with the group for a change.  That would be nice.  I need to relax for the next two days.  Saturday will be another fairly challenging long run.  I can't wait.  I need more days like today and some good recovery too.

7 miles - 54:56 (7:51 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment