Thursday, August 2, 2012

Large Group Run

It may not have been big by BCR standards, but tonight's LVRR Group Run was our biggest this year and close to our biggest ever.  We had all the regulars and two new folks, to make for a total of 7 runners.  It was a great turnout for what was supposed to be a hot day.

We did our usual loop heading east on the Parkway.  Kelley claimed she was going to take it easy after running the 5k last night and then feeling crappy most of the day.  I said, "No you won't, if I take off right now, you'll follow."  I didn't take off, but of course we didn't go too easy and of course she stayed with me.

It is supposed to be the start of a heat wave, but it didn't seem all that bad.  I was drenched by the end with my semi technical T-shirt.  The pace was pretty hot early on.  We were well under 9 minutes.  I couldn't tell how many people were behind me and Kelley, so that did kind of force me to keep pushing.  I figured Peter and his friend were there because they are fast.

After a mile or so, Peter and his friend (who didn't speak much English) took off ahead of the rest of us.  I was surprised as I turned around and saw Akshay still with us.  He stayed with us for about 2.5 miles.  I figured he would drop behind when we got to the big hill, but I didn't think he would be there for as long as he was.  I turned around and told him that I was impressed that he was still following.  He didn't say anything, so I figured he was going pretty hard at that point.  He dropped back shortly as I commented. 

From that point on Kelley and I were on our own.  The pace was somewhat hard and I was feeling it a little, but I think Kelley was actually struggling more.  That was a surprise.  Once we got to the big hill, I knew the pace would back off.

Kelley and I certainly struggled up the big hill.  I do like it because it flattens out in the middle with a short recovery.  It is still tough though, especially when your legs aren't feeling good.  I know because Kelley and Peter dropped me on it a few weeks back.  I just kept my head down and didn't look at the top.  Kelley said she didn't remember it being that big.  I said that I probably wouldn't have made it to the top without her.

I was disappointed to learn that Kelley actually was slower on this 5k than last time.  That was almost two months ago.  I thought all the running we'd done together might've helped.  She did say she went pretty hard on Monday night, so that could've been an issue.  We also haven't done any specific training.  I still figured she would be faster.  Who knows, some days you just don't have it.

The remainder of the run after the hill was pretty uneventful.  Small talk makes it fly by.  The shorter hills are much easier too.  Plus, our pace slowed after that hill.  Before I knew it, we were done. 

Of course I had to run a little farther than Kelley because my watch wasn't finished.  Peter and his friend completed the run few minutes before us.  Akshay wasn't too far behind and neither was Jeff.  The new guy, Rick, apparently turned around not long into the run.  The first big hill got him.  He said he was coming back to running after a long layoff.  I'm glad he understands what it takes and knows his way around the Parkway.  I should've run with him for a little, so that he comes back.  Hopefully he'll be there in the future.  Jeff started off pretty slow a few months ago, but is definitely getting stronger.

With all the rest this week, my shin/calf still isn't getting any stronger.  It seems sort of like my IT band problem in the past.  That wouldn't go away and only got better with a lot of stretching, massaging and strengthening.  Maybe that is what this issue needs.  I know I should to more of that.  I probably should have been doing it even before I had injury problems.  I definitely slacked off with it.  Maybe some short hills sprints would help too.  The big difference between this and the IT band issue was that I could feel the IT band during running.  This doesn't bother me much at all while running, just afterward.

Since someone was saying that they were going to eat and I was planning to as well, I suggested to Kelly and Jeff that we start doing that weekly after the run.  We usually talk for half an hour or more, so why not get together and eat?  There is the Queen City Diner nearby.  That could be fun.  Maybe we could become the social group like the BCR.  We already have to an extent with the regulars.

Tomorrow is either an easy day or off day.  I'm pretty sure if I do run, it will be at Jacobsburg.  It will be 3 or 4 miles tops.  I told Kelley she is welcome to join me.  Saturday is the Blue Eagle 5k.  I'm excited to see what I can do.  I think I should be able to go under 21:45.  Hopefully it will be even closer to 21 flat.

5 miles - 42:26 (8:29 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment