Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Easy Day at Plainfield

Today was another amazing weather day.  It was as perfect as you could expect for running in August.  I went out for an easy run on the Plainfield Recreation Trail.  The plan was for 5 miles.  I figured I'd be okay, but wasn't sure since it is paved, not a stone surface.

I wore my minimal shoes and this would be my longest run in them to date.  The start is a little difficult because it is slightly uphill.  It also isn't smooth.  It is more of stone pavement.  That felt weird on my shoes with little cushion.

The trail goes in and out of shade.  I kept putting my glasses up and down.  I went without a shirt and was glad I did so.  It was cool in the beginning, but I was still hot and sweating plenty by the end.

I ran easy, but the pace was pretty brisk.  These shoes seem like they make a difference.  I'm worried to go too slow because that seems to bother my legs.  I worked hard on using good form throughout the run, thus running more efficiently.

This run seemed much easier than the usual out and back solo runs that I do on flat trails.  Normally, I get bored so quick.  Today wasn't bad though.  Maybe the faster pace is what did it.

One thing I do miss about Philly is how many people were always out running.  They used to just naturally pull me along, especially the cute chicks.  I saw a bunch of bikers and walkers, but no runners today.  I guess it is good that I run in groups in this area.

As I got to the turnaround, I had a decision to make.  I opted to run across the road just before a car and then I turned back to cross the road again shortly after it.  There are hardly any cars on the crossing roads on this trail, but I seemed to come across them all today.  I had to slow for a box truck and pickup truck later on.

I did start to get sore in the final mile or so of this run.  My feet were bothered the most, but my calves were hurting too.  While these shoes hurt my calves, it is different than my recent painful area of my lower legs.  I've been using some cream afterward and it seems to be helping too.

Most of this route seems like it is uphill.  I'm not sure why that is.  The only time I felt like it was very easy and I was going slightly downhill was at that end.  Of course when I got there, I had to turn back around to avoid catching up to a tractor.  I didn't want to be bothered getting around him.

Tomorrow will be some speedwork again.  I'm hoping for half mile repeats with Kelley.  I'll wear my minimal shoes again and then switch it up after that.  I don't want to wear them too often yet.  It probably won't happen this week, but I do need to get back on some hills too.  I've been neglecting them since I started having lower legs problems.

5 miles - 41:48 (8:22 pace)

Sore feet and calves

No comments:

Post a Comment