Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Beautiful Day

One thing I sure can't complain about is the weather lately.  I wish we had this weather earlier in the summer.  It has just been gorgeous for late August.  Today, I got up and started my run after 11 AM and it was at most in the low 80s without much humidity.

After being quite sore yesterday, I opted for some flat running on a softer surface today.  I decided I'd head to the Lehigh Gap Nature Center.  I've run the trails here before, but never along the D&L Trail south of there.  The plan was 6 miles total, 3 miles out and 3 miles back.  This is the finishing stretch of the D&L Half Marathon in November, so it is good prep work.

Parking near the boat launch made for an awesome view of the mountains in the gap.  I started off going south and running away from those mountains.  An early sign said that I was almost 2 miles from Slatington.  I drove through there on the way up.

I started off not feeling so great.  It took awhile for my sore legs to get going.  The inside front of my left leg started bothering me.  Every now and then I'd take a step that would send a shock of soreness through me.  I think my stride was too choppy.  I began wondering if I would finish.  It wasn't that painful though, just more of a nuisance.

Time did fly by.  Before I knew it a mile was gone.  The flat trail ran along the Lehigh River.  I could see it through the trees, but I actually wish there were more open spots to view the river.  A good portion of the trail was shaded.  It was a mix of sun and shade throughout the run.

After a mile, I came to the small Slatington Airport.  That was cool to see next to the path.  It was certainly something different.  I saw two planes take off earlier while I was in the parking lot.  I wasn't quick enough to get a photo of the plane that flew through the gap.  The other cool thing along the path was that there were a lot of old railroad ties next to it.  I'd imagine they just left them in there from when the railroad was functioning.  Otherwise, it would've taken a lot of work to put them all there.

The second mile was still uncomfortable, but my calves were getting better.  I'm beginning to wonder if I overwork my left side or something.  I might lead too much with that leg.  I'll have to pay closer attention.  I crossed over the road in Slatington and felt another little shock to my legs.  By this point, I was in a good rhythm and using more consistent strides.  I was feeling better.  It definitely doesn't hurt as much when I run faster.

The final mile before turning around was upon me before I knew it.  This section was neat as well.  There were a few old bridge piers and a railroad signal with some switchboxes.  I always love when the remnants of the railroad remain on the trail.  I passed a few people shortly before the turn around.  I did see a runner or two, but it was mostly bikers and walkers out there on the trail.

Coming back, I really began to fly.  Every mile got faster and faster throughout the run.  All of the second half miles were under 8 miles.  I was going a little harder, but it was still comfortable and I was far from "pushing it."  In fact mile 4 back to Slatington felt so easy that I think it was probably slightly downhill.  It just blew by.

Even though I continued to run them faster, the last 2 miles certainly felt more difficult.  I think they were both back to being long and gradual uphills.  It did feel like I had to work a bit more.  I just concentrated on getting through small increments. 

The area around the airport was great.  I came out of the wooded path section there and could see the mountain in the distance.  I now knew about how far I had to go.  When I did hit the sun, my legs became a little sluggish, but I kept battling through.  I disappeared back into a wooded section again, before emerging right near the finish.  I completed the run directly under the bridge that runs over the river just south of the gap.  That gave me some spectacular views at the end.  It was great to be done.

I was quite sore afterward and begin to stretch.  I drove to the Lehigh Gap Nature Center to get out of the sun and finish my stretching.  I was hoping to find a hill to run short steep hill sprints on, but I never did.  There were plenty of hills around.  However, I needed something smooth and not heavily trafficked.  I was going to go to the AT at Blue Mountain, but they were doing construction on the road up to there.

It was a great day for a run, with outstanding scenery.  It is one of the things I love most about living in this area.  So many excellent places to to run.  If the weather continues to hold up like this, it will be even better.

Tomorrow, will be my speedwork day.  It calls for 8 X .5 mile repeats.  That could be a bit of a challenge.  I'm going to a dirt track race tonight and won't be home until late.  Regardless, I have to get up early in the morning to get this key workout in while it is cooler.  Kelley may or may not join me.  I'm not sure yet.  Her there would be a big help, but either way I'm confident that I'll nail the workout.

6 miles - 48:39 (8:07 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment