Friday, August 17, 2012

Just Another Lazy Friday

With these easy Fridays, I'm always looking for different places to run.  I had hope to go up to the Poconos to check out some waterfalls and run in the area.  Because it looked like potential rain in the afternoon, I scraped that plan.  Instead, I decided to stay local.

Even when making that decision, I couldn't figure out where to run around here.  At first I considered Louise Moore, but the thought of 4+ laps around there just makes me cringe.  I opted for the Forks Township Recreation Trail.  I had never run there before.  I scoped it out a little while ago.  First I drove up to Martin's Creek and along the Delaware though.

When I finally got to running after noon, it was getting quite humid.  There was no parking by the trail, so I parked in a new development.  I ran along the paved trail before it ended.  That was a little over a half mile long.  I was surprised that only one person with a kid was walking along this shady path through neighborhoods.  I thought it would be utilized more.

I had to go to the bathroom at this point, but the other direction along the trail looked like more woods to use.  I was correct.  That section was like a forest footpath.  It was partly dirt with a lot of grass.  It was covered by plenty of trees.  It was nice and peaceful and quite relaxing.

The scenery kept my mine off of checking my watch.  After cutting through some farm land, the path became a wider portion of dirt.  I was wondering what this path was.  It was flat and about the width of a railroad, but there was a lot of grass.  To that point I saw no signs indicting that a rail line went through there.  Then I ran across a concrete bridge like structure.  I figured it must be a railroad and shortly after that, I saw the old signals along the path.

This portion of the path was high up on a ridge.  I could catch glimpses of the Delaware River and Route 611 far below.  I could hear either trucks or boats, I wasn't sure.  I kept hoping for a good view.  As I approached the turnaround point, I thought maybe I had one.  There was a power line running through there.  Unfortunately, there was also an abandoned bridge that was closed off.  Rather than wander down the path below, I opted to turn around.

The second half of this part of the path was tough.  It was getting more and more muggy.  The path was a slight incline as well.  When I hit the three mile point, my body really began to rebel.  I couldn't wait for the run to end.  At three and a half miles, it was very difficult.  I just kept battling on.  These runs less than 24 hours after my Thursday evening runs are hard.  There isn't enough recovery time.

As I neared the end of the wooded part of the path, a couple with a little dog came the other direction.  They had to put it on a leash then.  I guess they weren't actually expecting anyone in this section.  They were the only people I saw the whole time.  It is a shame.  It is a nice place to run.  It is a bit secluded, but different from most rail trails.  I really liked that.  I had to finish up in the neighborhood.  The unshaded he was just brutal.  It was great to be done.

This was another solid run before my Saturday long run.  I will head out to run with the Breakfast Club Runners.  They are running at Eddyside, along the Delaware.  I've never run with them there before.  It should be interesting.  I am planning on heading there early to get 5 or 6 miles in before the group does.  Hopefully the group part will be fast and challenge me.


4 miles - 35:44 (8:56 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment