Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Not So Easy Merrill Creek

After yesterday's hard workout, the plan for today was to run nice and easy.  It didn't quite work out that way.  I headed to Merrill Creek in New Jersey with my dad.  There is a loop trail around a reservoir.  That allowed me to run and my dad to kayak.

Originally, I was hoping to have him take some cool pictures of me running across the top of one of the dams there.  That didn't happen though because he wasn't even in his kayak when I crossed over the dam.  I guess I should've waited.

I ran there before for a short out and back segment.  Today, I wanted to run the entire five and a half mile loop.  It starts out with a nice stone path along the reservoir.  It then goes into the woods and comes out again on top of the dam.  There is some elevation change early on, but it isn't too bad.  It is nice and fairly fast.  I was taking it easy.

After the first dam, there is another segment of woods before crossing a second dam.  During this woody section, I came across two deer hanging out at the end of the trail.  They took off as I went by.  When I got to the second dam, I encountered a problem.  There was a gate across it which was closed.  I had to walk down over some sharp rocks and go around the fence to keep going.  That cost me some time.

The second dam was really cool.  It was a couple stories high and the view to the nearby valley and other hills was pretty neat.  As I got toward the end, I noticed some trail next to the dam.  I'm not sure if I was supposed to go on that and come back down rather than crossing the dam.  If I did that, it would've been one hell of a climb.

Again, I had to walk around the fence at the other end of the dam.  After that, came the disappointing part.  I was glad the trail didn't follow the steep paved road ahead, but was disappointed with its path.  The next section was actually cool.  It was a semi challenging wooded trail with plenty of roots and rocks and elevation change.  It just sucked because I was looking to do a comfortable easy run.  I didn't know I'd have to work this hard, especially when it came to some of the climbing.  I will say the area was beautiful.  I just thought it would be mostly gravel trail

The biggest problem with the terrain is that I wasn't prepared for it and thus had on my road shoes and not my trail shoes.  Luckily, I the trail wasn't too technical.  There were definitely a few tough sections with some pointy rocks, but I managed.  Only once did I hurt my toe a little.  During this section, I also came across a random bench in the middle of nowhere with a couple kids smoking there.

After coming out of the woods, it was on to two more dams.  These were nice because I could pick up the pace some more.  The weather was actually perfect for this time of year, even when I was out of the shaded woods.  Of course, I still was sweating like crazy, but that is to be expected.

After the fourth and final dam, the path was stone again for a little bit.  It was fast for a short time.  Then the trail winded along a cove.  Some of the dense pine that it went through was very dark.  I have to say I was impressed with how groomed the trail was.  It looks like they cut brush there regularly.  Eventually the trail crossed over a wooden walking bridge.

I kept looking at my watch and could wait to be done.  The run wasn't bad, but not what I expected.  After the wooden bridge, there was more climbing and rocks.  I then went by some old stone structures.  They looked somewhat interesting.  After that, the trail came to an open field.  I was able to count six deer hanging in there.  I think I saw at least 15 deer either while running or driving around the area.

I was finally back at the boat launch and completed the run.  It was actually about 5.25 miles rather than 5.5 miles, so I ran a short out and back to finish up.  It was a good run.  I just wish it was easier and that I could've rested more.  Now that I know what the terrain is like, I definitely be back there.  Next time though it will be when I'm looking for an easy trail run.

The only other bad thing is that after this run, I ate some unhealthy food.  There is this place in Phillipsburg that has Italian Style hot dogs.  They put hot dogs, potatoes, peppers and onions together in bread.  It is excellent, but certainly not good for me.  I am trying to make healthier choices when it comes to eating, but it is hard.

I did some pilates core work again this afternoon.  I'm still struggling with it.  My flexibility just sucks and my core is quite weak.  I was able to last nearly 20 of the 26 minutes of the DVD this time though.  I am slowly improving.  I just need to stick with it and do the exercises at least twice a week.  I really don't enjoy stuff like that.  I'd rather just run.  I do need to improve my core though.

I went up to the Crossings this morning.  I got a cheap pair of New Balance minimalist shoes.  They only weigh 7.3 ounces.  I am eager to try them out.  I might only use them for speedwork and races.  I need a lightweight shoe for both of those.  So I don't get injured, I'm not going to try them out until after the Quadzilla this weekend.  Then I'll work them in gradually.  I did notice today that I run on my toes most of the time on the trails, so that should help me transition into those shoes.

I'm hoping I can still do some speed stuff tomorrow morning.  I may run a tempo run on the Blue Eagle 5k course or at the Nor-Bath Trail.  I'm hoping to get to Lafayette at 4 PM and run steps at the stadium too.  My busy week continues with some photographing of the LVRR's Summer Series 5k in the evening.  It is action packed, but should also be a fun day tomorrow.

5.5 miles - 54:19 (9:53 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment