Friday, July 20, 2012

Flying!

I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do today.  I was hoping for some speedwork, but I've had some minor soreness lately.  I planned to get up early, but it was a rare cool day, so I was able to run at my usual time after 10 AM.  Not only was it cool, but there was light rain too.

I would've liked to have ran repeats on the Blue Eagle 5k course, but when it rains my watch gets all wacky when drops hit it.  Therefore, I just opted to run hard for the full 5k course and then I'd lock the watch.  I wish I could've warmed up, but I just went right at it.

I ran with my new minimalist New Balance shoes.  They were great.  They are so incredibly lightweight.  I was going pretty hard in the beginning and I was blown away with my pace.  The first half mile was definitely my fastest, but I did stay strong throughout the run.

My goal in a couple weeks for the 5k is to run under a 7:00 pace which comes out to a 21:45 5k.  I was amazed as I came through the first mile at 6:43.  That mile is a lot of downhill, but I still didn't think I could run that fast with that kind of effort.

Things got a bit tougher in mile two.  There is a gradual uphill.  My time was slowing a bit.  Then after a little while the road is pretty rough.  It is very noticeable in my minimal shoes.  The one thing I don't like about them is the laces are so thin and hard to tie.  The tongue was slipping to the side.  I definitely need to tie them tighter next time.

Another thing that slowed my second mile was a big dog.  It was out at one of the houses and barking at me.  I slowed a little and then when I saw it wasn't going to chase, I picked it up again.  That killed some momentum.  I continued under a 7 minute pace though.

The second mile was a 7:07.  My time continued to slip with the tough uphills in the second half of the course.  I still came through 2.5 miles under a 7 minute pace and I was still at a 7 minute pace when I hit 2.6 miles.  For the last half mile, I just focused on being smooth and having nice form.  I didn't want to kill myself, but I wanted to keep going pretty hard and efficient.

After the last hill, I picked it up a bit.  When I get to this point in the race, I plan to think of all the tough times I've been through with my health.  That pushed me to the end last year.  As I hit my race goal time of 21:45, I could see the elementary school.  I was that close and in a training run.  I had no idea I could run this fast in a race, let alone a training run by myself.  I'm making incredible progress.

I crossed the highway and I was into the school.  I pushed hard and finished at 22:27.  I was simply amazed.  I'm not sure what led to such a great time.  Some of it was obviously just me getting stronger.  I can also attribute the lighter shoes to some degree.  I'm sure the whether was a big help.  I love running in the rain and always excel at it.  I just hope race day is somewhat cool.

The only bad thing about today was that I actually ran 3.19 miles instead of 3.1 miles.  I really need to work on running this course on tangents better.  It is tough to do because there are so many turns.

I was commenting last night that I'd like to see what happens if I go out hard.  Could I hang on in the end?  After today, I guess the answer is no.  I did slip quite a bit throughout the run.  I'll go out easy for the first mile on race day.  It should still be fast because it is downhill.  I should be able to bank a lot of time early without much effort.

With two weeks until the race, I guess I might have to rewrite my goals.  Maybe I can even go under 21 minutes.  That would be amazing.  Either way, I know I'm getting faster and much stronger.  I've never even run the Blue Eagle 5k in race conditions as fast as I did during training today.  Every time I've come back, I've been training for about the same time period too.  I'm getting well ahead of schedule now.  Maybe a PR in the half marathon isn't out of the question by November.


The one thing that does worry me a little are my new shoes.  Both of my shins were sore in the same area that they have been the last few days.  I only plan on using those shoes for racing and speedwork, so hopefully I'll be okay.  I'm not going to run more than a 5k in them for awhile.  If I decide to race the half marathon in them, I'll build up to it.

Yesterday was such a crappy day and that made today so much better.  Sometimes you just have bad days.  It is when they become a pattern that you have to worry and back off.  For now, I'm not doing that.  I'll slow down a little next week, but I have to keep working on getting stronger.

Tomorrow will be a run with the Breakfast Club Runners at the Nor-Bath Trail.  I can't wait.  I haven't run with them in awhile.  I'm hoping to run 8 miles.  We'll see how I feel.  I definitely need to start doing more long runs.  I have been doing way too many 5 milers lately.  This has been a big week.  If I run 8 miles, I'll be approaching 40 miles for the week.  That's because of the long race on Sunday though.  This Sunday's rest will be a big help.

3.19 miles - 22:27 (7:03 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment