Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Challenging Double Day

I didn't get too much recovery from last night's run, but I was at it again today for a double workout.  As usual, I would've liked to have gotten up earlier and ran earlier in the morning.  That didn't happen though, so I started off at 11 AM.  It actually wasn't too bad then.  It still probably wasn't 80 degrees at that point, but it was getting hotter.

I was unsure where to run.  I decided to go to the Nor-Bath Trail for some speedwork, rather than the hot neighborhood near my house.  I figured the trees and shade would be a huge help and I was right.  I didn't want to cross Airport Road, so I started at Bicentennial Park.

I did a short three quarter mile warmup.  I went towards Airport Road about half a mile, but didn't quite get to the road before turning around.  I then finished my warmup and started cruising.  My Garmin was a bit messed up early on.  It said my pace was way slower than it was and it also said I ran from 500 feet of elevation to -500 feet in elevation.  I'm not even sure where I could find -500 of elevation.

My legs certainly weren't strong after last night's run, but they weren't too bad either.  The first mile was solid and pretty uneventful.  I ran out 1.75 miles on this flat gravel trail before turning around and coming back.  I passed three women with double strollers and they barely gave me enough room to go by then.  That was kind of rude.  They didn't need to hog the whole path.

I was quite beat after two miles.  Rather than kill myself and run the planned hard three miles, I decided to cut that segment half a mile short.  I ran two miles hard on Monday, so two and a half today is progress.  Even though I was falling off, I kept just trying to work on maintaining solid form.  That is the most important thing to do when fatigued.  It was also probably a good thing that I cut my running down because my hamstring started to bother me.  After the run, the inside of my left calf became slightly sore.  I iced it this afternoon.

Since I cut the fast segment short, I cut the planned distance by half a mile too.  My cool down was still over half a mile.  I was actually glad I cooled down when I did.  For one, I stopped the hard segment right before a road crossing, where I had to wait for traffic.  I also came across two tractors cutting the grass along the path.  That created a lot of dust and would've made fast running difficult.  They were nice enough to stop when they got near me.

I was very happy today because I found my compression shorts.  I want to use them to run Quadzilla.  They were were great because they are tight and will prevent me from chafing.  It took some getting used to early on in the run, wearing clothes that tight.  After awhile though, I didn't even notice them and I felt great.  I was sweaty, but didn't even realize it until I was done.  I will definitely be racing in these on Sunday.

After a hard morning run.  I headed off to Lafayette's Fisher Stadium in the evening to run steps with Bob and Michele from the Breakfast Club Runners.  At first I was beginning to think I might be running alone because Bob didn't show up until almost 4 and Michele was running late.  Bob and I started without Michele.

During my first or second rep, after a half mile warmup, Michele showed up.  I never actually met her before and although I said hi, I felt kind of bad that I didn't chat a little more.  I had started my workout though and wanted to keep going.  My plan was just to do six reps up and walk down to recover.  In the future, I'd like to run a couple sets of these, with a half mile jog in between.

Bob and Michele were running both up and down them and recovering in between or doing pushups or situps.  Michele brought her young daughter who watched her mom run.  It was very cute.  Good to have some encouragement.

After two or three reps, I was really feeling it.  It is amazing how you typically feel good in the beginning, but after getting past the tunnel section in each rep, it really starts to burn.  If the steps were any longer than they are, I might give up.

When I started the six rep, I was feeling good and I said to myself, maybe I'll do two more reps.  Once I got to the top and it really started to hurt, I gave up on that idea.  I didn't want to overdo it after a hard morning run.  It was also pretty hot too and that might've factored into it some.  I finished up with a solid day in the books and not too much soreness.

I took photos of the LVRR 5k and felt good.  I shouldn't have any problems bouncing back tomorrow.  The 5k was cool because I ran into so many people.  I'm really starting to get to know a ton of people in the running scene.  That is great.  The club also gave out college scholarships to high school athletes.  That was cool because I know who quite a few of the runners are from watching so much track and cross country.

Tomorrow afternoon, I'm helping with the LVRR family hike.  We are going to South Mountain in Emmaus.  That's good because I don't know that trail too well and it should help me get to know it better.  After that, I'm leading the regular Thursday group run in the Parkway.  After the hard day today, I'm kind of hoping for an easier day tomorrow.  I ran into one of the guys that usually comes and he said he'll be there.  If that is the case, it will be a tough run for me.  I'm up for doing whatever is needed.  This should probably be a taper run with Quadzilla coming up, but it isn't.

AM
4 miles - 34:21 (8:36 pace)

PM
1.5 miles - 22:19 (14:52)

No comments:

Post a Comment