Thursday, July 12, 2012

Busy Day

Today was a very busy day for me.  It started with an LVRR Family Hike on South Mountain in Emmaus.  That was followed by watching cyclists practice at the Valley Preferred Cycling Center.  After that, I went to clubhouse and Bart Yasso showed up.  Finally, it ended with another good group run.

The hike was very entertaining.  We hiked about 2 miles on the South Mountain Preserve loop.  Little kids are too fun.  They seemed to really enjoy the rocks, trees and streams and of course berries that they could eat off the tree.  Some of the uphills were tough for them and not exactly easy for me.  I was actually surprised at how much I was sweating.  We ended up getting split up a little bit, but we had enough volunteers to keep track of everyone.  The real fun part for the kids was the huge pile of rocks.  They were climbing all over them.  I opted not to as my climbing days are long over.  I've never run through that section, it was pretty cool.

Since I was already in Emmaus and close to the clubhouse, I didn't want to go home before the group run.  At first, I wasn't sure what to do.  Then it dawned on me that the Valley Preferred Cycling Center in Trexlertown is having their Junior Nationals competition tomorrow.  I figured they must be practicing.  Sure enough, I was right.  I actually think it was some older riders practicing before the kids.  It was cool to watch.  They would ride in packs or actually draft off of a motorcycle to go fast.  It was funny seeing all the young kids on the bikes later on too.  I might head back there tomorrow for the race.

After watching the cycling, I decided to head over to the clubhouse.  Neal, the club president, and others are usually there hanging out if I arrive early.  This time, Bart Yasso of Runner's World showed up.  That was entertaining as he had plenty of stories to tell, including a few about the times he met Lance Armstrong.  It is neat that we have some famous runners here.  Budd Coates ran and finished well in the 5k last night.

The final event of the day was really the main event.  It was the weekly group run.  We didn't have a big group, but there were plenty of familiar faces.  Akshay was there, as well as Kelley and another guy who is a regular.  Jeff couldn't make it this week and I think for the next few weeks, but he plans on being back.  We are getting a nice little core group.

The run actually turned out to be a perfect pace.  Yesterday was a hard day and Sunday is the big race, so a medium pace was perfect.  That's what Kelley and I did as we ran together at the front, with the guy not far behind.  Kelley and I chatted about various things like recruiting high school athletes and of course running.  Time just flew by and so did the miles.  I love running in groups.  It makes hard running so much easier.

It is funny to think how much more social I've become in the last few years.  I'll still never take over a room, but I'm definitely not as shy as I used to be.  Kelley and I were chatting almost the whole time.  I had to laugh inside though at how dead it got as we climbed the big hill near the Fish Hatchery.  It is like someone hit the mute button as we concentrated on the tough climb.  I said a few words in the middle of the hill as it leveled off, but that was about it.

The rest of the run seemed to fly by.  I barely even noticed the final few hills.  Of course I had to run a little past the clubhouse to get exactly five miles it.  It was an excellent run.  A little taxing, but not too tough.  Just enough to get a solid workout.  I'm sure Kelley and I will really start pushing each other in the upcoming weeks.  She commented how she saw that I did two workouts yesterday and is so competitive that she wanted to do two.  I can totally relate to that.  I think we'll be good for pushing each other over the next few months.

After the run, we relaxed outside the clubhouse and chatted.  It wasn't like the usual alcohol and wine post run gatherings that the older members have on Thursday afternoons, but it was fun.  We discussed shoes, training and many other things.  I enjoy that almost as much as the run itself.  This is becoming a great little group.

I'm not sure what the plan is for tomorrow.  It is going to be an easy day.  I just have no idea where.  My car is having problems and it might be in the garage.  If that is the case, I might have to run by my house.  I had to borrow the parents SUV today.  On Saturday, I hope to do another easy run with the BCR and of course Sunday is the big race.

5 miles - 43:56 (8:47 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment