Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Running Within

Today was only a short 2 mile run, but very productive nonetheless. I'm trying to focus on improving my stride and breathing. I did just that on this day and I also worked on running relaxed.

Much like a few weeks back, I focused on catching a slower runner early on. I blew past the heavy footed runner who seemed to be struggling. Unlike the previous run though, he picked up his pace and came back at me. I could hear the loud footsteps behind me so I increased my stride a little longer and tried to hold him at bay.

It didn't break him though and it was just too early in my run to push any further. He eventually went by me and pulled ahead. Unlike when I was passed in my 5K, I didn't quit and attempted to at least stay at his pace. I did that until he finished up his run at my turnaround spot on the Schuykill Banks. In a few weeks, I'll be stronger enough to leave him in my dust, but I'm not there yet. I actually wish I had more challenges like that in my daily runs. There are a lot runners out there, but few seem bothered when they get passed.

The second half of the run was fairly impressive too. Because the other runner set a torrant pace, I was in a comfort zone and able to maintain that pace throughout the end of the run. I stayed focused and concentrated on my stride, breathing and relaxation. I battled up the hill at the end and finished the second half of the run roughly as fast as the first half.

Following the run, I decided to run up and down the Art Museum steps twice. It wasn't too difficult and perhaps I'll add it to my routine (although I wasn't too comfortable). I also did some abs exercises and push ups when I got home. I'm not looking to create a total body workout, but it wouldn't hurt to add a little strength to other areas as well.

I'm working not only on improving my stride and breathing to get faster, but also the mental aspect of running. That allowed me to push hard today, but not overdo it. I bought an excellent book called "Running Within" that works on the mental aspects of running. I'm nearly done reading it in only a day and a half. I used it to do some visualizations of my runs. I envisioned how well I'd run today, although when passing people, I didn't anticipate them coming back at me. That's something to add to future visualizations. I also reran my poor 5K run in my head, only this time imagining that I ran it better and the way I wanted to. I think this mental training will be a big help too as I'm trying to get serious. Only time will tell though.

The other fun thing in the works right now is putting together a 5K. Several of us on CAAzone have been talking about running. We've thrown out the idea of running a 5K amongst all the CAA schools' fans and obviously the locals in Richmond during CAA tournament weekend. I suggested we put on the event to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. After Nicole Hester battled through Hodgkin's Disease and now with Will Adams is going through the same, it would be great to benefit a related charity. I don't really know all that is involved in putting on an event, but I plan to contact the CAA office as well as the local chapter of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I also might contact the local Richmond running club. It would be a lot of work and I'd love to be heavily involved. Ideally though, we'd need someone in Richmond to handle a lot of the logistics.

For awhile now, I haven't known where my future is going. I'm sure watching basketball will take me there, but now it looks like running might play a bigger role than I would've imagined a few months ago. Before, I thought that maybe I hated running, but that might've just been a reaction of poor training and overtaining. I'm so passionate and hungry right now and plan to keep it that way.

After a hard week, tomorrow is a much needed day off. Friday will be a 60 minute cross training exercise on the bike. Saturday I'll do my 4.5 mile long run for the week as I build up towards the 10K at the end of July.

No comments:

Post a Comment