Friday, July 10, 2009

Night Run

It's been a crazy week with so much basketball. One Wednesday, I ran a short two miles, but didn't get a chance to write about it. I got out much earlier than usual and ran the typical Schuykill Banks route. It was so early that the sun was still behind the trees. That made it nice and cool.

The funny thing is that the guy who ran the week before and caused me to push myself too much actually ran past me again. This time I didn't challenge him though. I ran 8 minutes, then walked for 2 minutes and finally ran another 8 minutes. It was a nice and efficient workout.

I was supposed to bike this morning. Since I'm at my parents though and my bike isn't fixed yet, I decided simply to skip it. I had very little sleep last night too so that was a good idea.

Rather than wake up early for my long run tomorrow, I decided to run in the dark at 9:30 PM. That turned out to be a good idea. Without the sun, it was nice and cool and I was able to run the 5 miles or so with ease. I ran six minutes stints with 2 minute walk breaks in between.

What made the workout great is that it ended up where I actually ran up every single hill and it seemed that my walking breaks were all flat road. It was odd that it happened like that. The walk breaks were huge. They really keep me fresh throughout the run. During the final two segments, I was able to really push myself.

I'm still not sure that I can get myself to race with walk breaks, but I like training in that manor. It allows me to recover better and hopefully I won't get injured. The 10K is only a few weeks away. I haven't focused much on running this week since I've already watched 40 games with 30 to 40 more yet to come.

Monday I will be off from basketball, so I'll be able to run my normal run. Tuesday could get tricky because I plan on heading to West Virginia for hoops for a couple days. Some way we'll make it work though.

No comments:

Post a Comment