Friday, November 13, 2015

Daylight Neighborhoods Run

Last night, I went out for a darkness run.  It was a raining a bit when I stepped outside, so I went back in.  Today was super windy.  It looked like another excuse.  However, around 4 PM, I realized that the winds had died down.  I made myself get outside.

The plan was for 5 miles around the neighborhoods.  I can usually bargain myself into that short of a run.  I hate being on pavement so much, but at least that makes the run go by quickly.  I need to get on more trails though.

I wore shorts and a long sleeve shirt.  Although the wind died down, it definitely wasn't gone.  It was windy and causing my nose to run.  I'd take these conditions though.

I started off at my house and headed to the neighborhood on the other side of the school.  I don't think any of my recent runs have gone over there.  I was there in no time and comfortably climbing up the slight hill.

The plan was to run to the end of the small industrial park over there and back.  I knew I'd need to add some to get to 5 miles.  There was a vehicle parked in a weird spot along the road into the industrial park.  After that, it was a nice downhill.

There was no wind on the descent, so I knew it would be tough on the way back.  I was surprised when I started looking at my pace.  I was running easy and barely over an 8 minute pace.  I figured that I'd be closer to a 9 minute pace.

When I got to the industrial park turnaround, I was only near 2 miles.  I went around a building at the end, to add more distance.  I headed back and after turning, it was into the wind.

Still, this wasn't too bad and I headed to do a short add on around some fairly new houses.  This is also slightly uphill.  Then, it was back to the main road.  The short climb was windy and tough.  The sky was a pretty pink, as the sun was setting.

At the top, a guy with a baby was talking selfies or something.  I have no idea.  I turned to head back home and was able to enjoy a windless stretch.  This was a descent too.  Earlier, I twisted my ankle a few times, but now it felt good.

Before the circle in this neighborhood, I hit mile 4.  It was getting close to dark, but I had timed the run perfectly.  I ran around the back of the school.  Then, I added distance around the front of it too.

When I got back to my neighborhood, it was around 4.75 miles.  I figured I'd do the medium loop.  I didn't quite finish this loop when I hit 5 miles.  I stopped my watch right then.

Again, it wasn't a great run, but I got the job done.  One thing I keep forgetting to do is run strides.  I want to work on my speed a little, without actually running hard.  I was happy just to get out the door today.

Tomorrow's weather is supposed to be windy again.  I'd love to get to the DWG.  I haven't been there in some time.  Three loops of Tammany would be awesome and doable for sure.  I'm going to watch some friends, Kristin and Angie run a 5K in the morning.  That should be fun too.

5 miles - 40:01 (8:00 pace) 40 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment