Sunday, November 8, 2015

Back on the Delaware

As is the current pattern, I slacked off for a few days.  The motivation is just so low.  Even today, I had time for several hours of running, instead I made it a short one.  It was still better than nothing.

I headed south of Easton to run the canal towpath along the Delaware River.  This is absolutely one of my favorite places to run.  I figured there would still be some colors on the trees too.  The plan was for just a solid 8 miles.

It was a bit chilly, but still not cold.  The shady parts and some of the slight wind were interesting.  Still, I was okay in shorts and short sleeves.  I brought a handheld too.

The plan was to run 2 or 3 miles south on the trail.  I thought this would take me by a really cool section and indeed it did.  I've never run here on the weekend and there were quite a few people out.  Early on, I was running directly into the sun.

The legs and body didn't feel too bad, but probably not great either.  I was grateful to be on this flat path.  There's some stone and other parts are completely unimproved.  It was a nice day along the river.  The first mile zipped my quickly.  This was an 8:15 opening mile.  I really had no goals, other than to try to run pretty consistent.  The effort throughout wasn't super easy, but probably on the higher end of the easy category.

Around 1.5 miles was my favorite part of the run.  The canal towpath is directly between the river and the canal.  There's a road and steep cliffs on both sides of the river.  The views are clear and it is just stunning.  I even found some rocks in New Jersey that look like they would be an awesome place to sit.  I took it all in.

I continued on, not feeling great or terrible.  I was hoping my legs would last.  I simply focused on making it to mile 3.  That wasn't easy though.  I ran through Riegelsville, including by a cool little cafe next to the canal.

Shortly after that, I did hit mile 3 and turned around.  I kind of couldn't believe I had 3 miles back to the start and 5 miles total.  While wasn't in awful conditions, I thought I should feel better.

After the first two miles were over 8 minutes each, the pace began to pick up.  The 4th mile was a speedy 7:38.  I wasn't going any harder, so I guess it was downhill.

I focused on each upcoming mile.  In the cool area, a guy moved over with his dog that he was walking.  I was happy to make it to mile 5.  I didn't feel any worse than a mile earlier.

I continued to cruise along.  While I had no goal time, once I saw my time I was shooting for a sub 8 minute pace.  That became easier and easier as I clicked off each mile.  I kept watching my time.

I made it back to the park and mile 6.  The plan was to go out another mile and come back.  Then, I'd be finished up.  This part going north runs past some houses.  Before 6.5 miles, I came to some people walking and an unleashed dog following them.  I realized later as I was driving home that the dog was not actually with them.  Because of the dog, I had just decided to play it safe and head back.

At about 6.75 miles, I arrived back at the start.  I headed back in the original direction and into the setting sun.  I figured I'd turn around at 7.4 miles.  I was coming up to a dog when I hit that point, so it was perfect timing.

Also, a couple on bikes had just gone by.  They were now ahead of me, as I went back.  They were riding slightly faster than my running pace, and thus pulling me along.  I picked it up and little and they slowed down in the final quarter mile.  I ended up flying by them.  I finished up with a nice 7:20 mile.

Although it wasn't trail and this run wasn't as long as I would've liked, it was a run.  I just need to get back out there.  I wish I could enjoy running again.  I'll just do what I can get myself to and not worry about it.

Tomorrow, I'm hoping I can run again.  Who knows though.  Going to Tammany would be nice.  I have not been there in some time.  I do hope the cool weather like today remains.

8.01 miles - 1:02:38 (7:49 pace) 64 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment