Thursday, February 19, 2015

Windy and Cold Run on Snow Covered Mt. Tammany

I didn't work today, so that was perfect.  After yesterday's disappointing short run, I needed a good day today.  I headed to the Delaware Water Gap right after lunch.  I wanted to run Mt. Tammany.  The plan was really to just get some good elevation gain.

The weather was super cold again.  I'm not sure it was much over 10 degrees and the winds were pretty bad.  I think they made it feel around zero.  Still, I'll take this over summer running any day.  I went with a ColdGear top and my fleece vest over it.  The top half of me was good.  The issue was that bottom half, where I only wore tights covered by shorts.  A second layer would've been much better.  My legs were cold by the end of the run, but I managed to get through it.

The trail was in excellent shape.  The snow was a perfectly packed down singletrack.  I was in trail running heaven.  The wind was the only downside.  Even still, the snowdrifts were much less than I expected.

I headed up running from the parking lot.  It would've been interesting to see if I could run the first very steep part.  It was kind of smooth today.  However, I brought my GoPro along and wanted to make a video.  This spot was the perfect place to start recording.  I was able to lay my camera on some rocks and snow piles and shoot some short clips.

After a few minutes, I headed up again.  I hiked this steep part.  I then began running when it flattened out.  I came across two Indian hikers.  They didn't move of the trail for me and I had to run uphill off the trail and into the snow.  I slipped and fell, but was okay.

I then ran a little more, but it was not only running and hiking mixed now, but I was adding in my video shooting too.  These brief breaks did make things easier. 

I got to the first lookout point and there was a snowman there.  Someone actually went through the trouble go to build one up there.  It was cool and I took a photo and some video in that area.  I had already gained quite a bit and wasn't working hard.

The tough thing was that I was hiking and setting up the camera a lot more than actually running.  That meant the wind was making my legs very chilly.  I knew I had to tough it out to the top, as things would get better on the second half of the run.

I ran a little at the very steep and rocky part.  I knew I'd be taking videos there, when I got on the rocks.  The videos ended up being great, as good or better than I hoped.  I successfully put them together to make an awesome clip.

I was moving along pretty well.  I was surprised that I didn't hit the big snowdrifts, like I did last time up there.  Even with all the wind, they had not formed yet I guess.  Maybe that will happen tomorrow.

It was great to make it to the summit.  I took a quick photo, but didn't want to hang out there long in the cold.  My biggest question coming into the run was the condition of the Blue Trail.  More people go out and back on Mt. Tammany than do the loop.  I was thrilled to see the Blue Trail in good shape.

I ran along the cold ridge.  Now, I sensed the fun part would be coming.  I came up on a woman who was hiking, right before I began my descent.  She was cute and had an accent.

Much to my surprise, the Blue Trail was packed down almost as well as the Red Dot Trail.  It was so smooth and fast.  I cruised downhill, having fun.  I did take a couple more videos, but much less now.  I mostly just ran downhill.  A lot of this was colder than I expected, but still far better than ascending was.

I got to the bottom in no time.  I couldn't believe it when I was back at the parking lot right at the one hour mark.  On clear trail days, I don't run much faster than that for a loop.  Add to it that I took about 15 videos that were over a minute each and that was quite impressive.  Maybe the trail is easier than in the summer or I'm getting faster and stronger myself.  I'm sure it is likely a little of both.

My watch said I was over 1500 of elevation gain now.  I wanted more.  I really debated another Mt. Tammany loop.  That would've meant I needed to put my sweatpants on though.  I was also planning on dinner with my mom, so I didn't quite have the time for that second loop either.

Instead, I opted to go back up the Blue Trail for a bit.  I figured I'd just go until I got to the hiker and then I'd turn around.  I was surprised at how long it took me to get to her.  She was snacking or something.  I went up a bit further then too.

I ran downhill past her as she was eating.  I had to go off trail briefly and that hurt my shins a bit.  I was good though and down the Blue Trail in no time.

I was around 2200 feet of gain by now.  I decided to do a short part to Sunfish Pond.  It was very short though and maybe only added another 100 feet.  I didn't want to get stuck behind the hiker.

I was back to my car in no time.  I saw the guy next to me had MMT and Eastern States stickers on his car.  I decided that I'd run back up and down the first steep section of Mt. Tammany.  That would get me a couple hundred more feet of gain and put me over 2500 feet for the day.

I ran some and hiked some here.  I'm glad that I'm finally starting to really understand the trail.  It helps me know which parts to run and which to hike.  I should be able to run a lot more when the snow melts.

I was pretty beat by the time I got to the top of this section.  I managed to make it there though and even ran a little more.  My watch said over 2600 feet of gain. 

I ran back down and did a short out and back toward Sunfish Pond to finish up.  That got me to 7 miles.  A guy came running down behind me and then he went up Mt. Tammany.  I assume it was his car that I saw earlier, but he didn't stop there.  I guess he was doing loops.  I wish I had more time to do that.

I'd don't know where I'm running tomorrow, but I do plan on running again.  I'm thinking maybe I'll head to Lehigh Gap.  The options with smooth trail are sparse right now.  I do like Lehigh Gap, but I have to hike a lot there.

7.01 miles - 1:43:56 (14:50 pace) 2348 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment