Friday, February 20, 2015

Short Lehigh Gap Day

I've been running a lot this week, after a light week last week.  Lately, I've only run 4 days most weeks and sometimes 5 days.  Today was my 5th day this week, with another run planned for tomorrow too.  This one would be short, but with some elevation gain.

I had to wait for wash to dry, so I didn't get out there until later in the afternoon.  It was another cold day, around 10 degrees, but less windy.  Still, this is getting close to being out of my comfortable.  The legs were a little chilly with one layer on.  My upper body was a bit hot with ColdGear and a fleece vest.  The headband and gloves were off fairly early.

I went to Lehigh Gap.  I figured the trail would be nice and packed down.  I figured I'd go up the mountain about 1.5 times.  I was looking for 1500 feet of elevation gain.  I started off running.  I wanted to run some more.  I even slowed down in the parking lot, to make sure I could run more.

Unfortunately, running didn't last very long.  The first trail was steep, but the bigger issue was the snow drifts.  There was just no grip as I ascended.  I had really hoped for a smooth trail and that I'd get to the shelter at least, before hiking.  However, I didn't even make it on to the AT.

I did run some of the flatter parts and it was good to get to the AT.  That was just too steep for me too and I just decided to hike up it.  My back bothered me quite a bit, just doing that.  I need to really work on strengthening that area.

I ended up hiking most of the way to the shelter.  I hope that my hiking speed is really improving over winter with all the uphill hiking that I've been forced to do.  I won't know until I get out there on the trails though in race conditions and on tough climbs.

It was good to get to the shelter and keep going.  This climb is so steep.  Before I knew it, I was out at the North Trail intersection.  I followed the blue blazes.  Again, I was hiking a lot.  I continued on.  I couldn't decide if I wanted to follow the blue or the yellow when I got to the top.  I stuck with the blue until I was nearly at the top.  It was less than 1.5 miles and about 1050 feet of gain.

I then starting going downhill.  It was fast and fun as usual.  My eyes did water a lot though, so that slowed me down.  At the AT juncture, I began to ascend again.  This part is uphill, but more gradual.  I got another 150 feet of gain, before turning around.

I then flew downhill again.  The legs were feeling a little beat at this point.  My plan was to go past the Woodpecker Trail and down to the powerline.  However, that part below the Woodpecker Trail had drifts.

I turned around and hiked back up.  I was now at 1200 feet of gain.  I figured that it was about 400 feet to the shelter, so that would be perfect.  Again, it was a lot hiking.  I was around mile 3 at this point.  I went up to the shelter.  That wasn't quite enough, so I went another few feet from there.

I then cruised on downhill.  That was fun as usual, even though the footing seemed worse than last time I was there.  It was still a smooth singletrack though.  I was back on the Woodpecker Trail in no time. 

I got back to the car right at the 4 mile point.  I was just under an hour.  That was about how long I wanted to run today, so it was perfect.  It was a good way to head into the weekend.

Tomorrow, I'm hoping for more climbing.  I really want to challenge myself.  I'm hoping for 3 or 4 loops of Mt. Tammany.  I did that much elevation during the DWG Fatt Ass, but that's the only time I've done that much there.  I'm planning to race the Ugly Mudder in Reading on Sunday.

4 miles - 57:33 (14:22 pace) 1739 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment