Monday, February 16, 2015

Hamburg Reservoir Appalachian Trail (both directions)

I skipped a bunch of days at the end of the week last week.  Therefore, I could run for a second straight day.  With potential snow tonight, I definitely had to run today.

I didn't work, so I had the opportunity to drive a little.  I didn't know where to go.  Eventually, I just decided on a place I knew would be good, the Hamburg Reservoir.  It would give me a packed down trail and some elevation gain too.  If it was closer, I'd be there all the time in the winter, and other times.

It wasn't as cold as yesterday, but it wasn't good either.  I'm not sure that it was much over 10 degrees when I started in mid afternoon.  There was more wind than I expected, although not as much as yesterday.  Because I thought it would be better today, I didn't dress as well.  I went with a midweight base layer, rather than ColdGear.  The wind cut right through it.  My behind got cold as well, with only one layer.

I didn't want to start the same way as the last few times.  I began by going southbound on the AT and exploring more of the trail.  I ran this part for a short bit last time, but now, I wanted to climb.  This section is flat for awhile and then climbs.

A few people had gone this direction, but it was tough.  The footing was uneven and there was some snow on top of the prints.  There was a section that ascended almost perfectly.  It would've been just steep enough to run in the summer, but today, it was too difficult.  I hiked up it.  I really wanted to get at least 500 feet of gain in this direction.

At the top, it was still gradually climbing.  I went out farther.  I continued out because I could tell I wasn't quite at the top of the mountain.  I guess the trail doesn't quite go up that high.  Finally, after sinking through snowdrifts, I turned around at 2.33 miles.

I figured that heading back would be better with it being downhill.  It was better, but still sucked at times.  My feet were breaking through and going fairly deep into the snow.  The footing was uneven and tough.  Still, I could run most of it.  The wind was cutting through under my arms.  When I did hike, it wasn't as windy.

Around mile 4, I was back near the Hamburg Reservoir road.  I now was planning to head in the other direction on the AT.  I figured that this would be smooth because everyone hikes to Pulpit Rock and the Pinnacle.  The trail was a beautifully packed down singletrack.  It was excellent. 

I had been over 700 feet of elevation gain.  I was hoping to get about 1,000 more feet on this part.  I planned to go out to Pulpit Rock.  I was able to run for quite a bit.  Sometimes, my breathing would get heavy, but then the trail would flatten out.

Near the top, I finally had to hike.  I was around 1,000 feet of elevation gain.  I hiked and ran off and on.  It was pretty steep near Pulpit Rock.  Climbing the rocky park to Pulpit Rock was fun.  I got to the view and took a couple photos.

I headed back down.  I took a cool video with my phone (but can't upload it).  I was running down the rocks.  I flew downhill.  It was a bit chilly, but fun.  Downhill snow running is awesome.  Before I knew it, I was back near the Hamburg Reservoir.  I think I was over 1,700 feet of elevation gain.

I had run up the road here before and it was steep.  I figured that I'd try to get over 2,000 feet of gain.  This was snow covered and icy.  The MICROspikes were awesome on it.  I ran for quite a bit, but then it got steep and I had to hike.

I went over 2,000 feet of gain and kept going.  I decided to go until it looked like I was near the top.  I was over 2,200 feet by the time I turned around.  I took a cool picture of the reservoir from above.

I then went downhill.  This was a super steep, but fun descent.  I was able to run it very fast with my spikes on.  I was almost out of control.  It was a blast.

I got near the parking lot and was almost at 2 hours of running.  I went out again to get over that time.  By then, I was close to 10 total miles, so I ran around near the car for a bit, to get to that.

It was a great run, with lots of snow and fun.  The elevation gain was excellent for a Monday run.  That is two quality runs to start the week off.  I need to run here more often.  I'm sure I will if it keeps snowing.  It is one of the few packed down places.

Tomorrow, I'm not sure what I'll do.  I might take off.  I'm also considering snowshoe running, if it does snow.  We aren't supposed to get too much, so we shall see.  It has been a good start of the week, so it should be a solid week.

10 miles - 2:03:05 (12:18 pace) 2393 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment