Monday, February 23, 2015

Becoming a Mt. Tammany Regular

Yesterday had nice weather.  It was warm.  However, I didn't get to the Ugly Mudder, because I didn't want to dig my car out from Saturday's snow.  I didn't end up running at all in fact.

After an off day, I had to get back out there today.  I decided to head to Mt. Tammany again.  It is a bit of a drive, but so tough and well used that it is becoming a regular winter running place.  I started late in the afternoon.  I was cutting it close, but hoping for 2 loops.  I knew that would take me about an hour and forty minutes.

It was just another cold day.  It was in the teens again and pretty windy.  Amazingly, I'm getting very used to it.  I had on a ColdGear top with my fleece vest.  One layer of tights plus shorts was enough on the bottom.  It was cold on Saturday on the ridge, so I went with a full face mask today.  I was sweaty, but pretty comfortable throughout.

One thing I like about running here during the week is that there are few people.  Two young people came hiking down as I was getting ready to run.  I couldn't believe the guy hiked in sneakers.  When I saw the trail conditions, I really couldn't believe it.  I saw no one on the trail while I was actually running.

I began by running the short hill at the start and then the flat part.  I knew I'd have to hike the first steep section.  I was surprised at how icy it was.  The snow had melted and refroze.  It was right in the sun.  I was very glad I had MICROspikes with me.  Even they lost a little grip at times.

My calves felt incredibly tight.  I was so surprised.  I wasn't sure if they weren't ready, if the trail conditions were tougher or I had not recovered well enough from Saturday's run here.  I had to stop quite a few times.

Someone knocked the head off the snowman on the first overlook.  That was disappointing.  It was a nice day up there.  Between my legs and my back bothering, I was hiking almost all of the uphills.

I hiked up the steep rocky section.  One part was so steep and icy that I had to grab the solid snow next to the trail.  I made it up though.  I did stop to rest my legs and back a few times.

I ran some of the brief flats and then hiked the rest of the way up.  This was slower than on Saturday.  It was good to get to the top.  I took a photo, but didn't stay long, as it was cold.

I was thrilled to find little wind on the Blue Trail ridge section.  I guess the wind was coming from a different direction than on Saturday.  The problem was that there were few prints to follow through the drifts.  I had to hike here too.

I then headed downhill on the Blue Trail.  It was fun descending.  The footing was uneven, so that was a bit tough.  I was slower than the other day.  I was kind of relaxed and enjoying the downhill.  Before I knew it, I was back at the parking lot.  It was a little slow at over 50 minutes for the first loop.

I refueled briefly and headed back up.  I wasn't sure how my calves would be able to handle this one.  Therefore, I wasn't sure if I'd do the whole loop.  On the first steep section, I knew my calves were better.  They were no longer tight, so that was a huge plus.

I continued to hike and run, much like the first time.  I'm finally comfortable with knowing the whole layout of the trail.  It was great to get to the very steep section, although I knew it will be tough.

I hiked up this part.  My back bothered me a little, but it wasn't as bad as the first loop.  I didn't have to stop nearly as much.  I didn't look up too often, because I didn't really want to know how much was left.

When I thought I was near the top, I began running the moderate uphill.  I forgot that there was a downhill first and then another uphill.  Still, it was all runnable.  I think I hiked it the first time around.  I took another photo of the summit.  It was cool with the sun setting.  It was great to hit the top again.

Now, I knew it was all downhill fun after the relatively flat ridge.  I knew I was moving faster this time.  I do like going down the Blue Trail.  The only thing I don't care for is that it almost all looks the same to me.  I sort of don't know different parts of it all that well.  There isn't much in the way of distinct features.  No different rocks and no views, especially with the trail snow covered.

I was down to the bottom in no time.  I then ran back on the AT.  Running along Dunnefield Creek through the Holler was just beautiful.  I got back to the parking lot near mile 7.  I looped the parking lot until I went over that point.

It was a good, productive way to start the week.  I was quite happy.  I got two more summits of Mt. Tammany.  I decided as I was running that I want to try to summit it 100 times this year.  I'm a bit behind, but I've done it 6 times in the last week.  If I start doing 4 or 5 at a time on weekends, that will be a big help.  Hopefully I won't get sick of it.  I love that the loops are less than 4 miles.  It breaks them down.

Tomorrow, I'm hoping to run again.  My car wouldn't start today, so we'll see.  I hope it does start and I can go somewhere.  It would likely be at Lehigh Gap.  I hope for another solid week.  Maybe at some point this snow will actually melt and open up more places.

7.02 miles - 1:42:31 (14:37 pace) 2437 feet of elevation gain
Mt. Tammany Summits #7 and #8 of 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment