Friday, April 25, 2014

Super Wet 5

I really wanted to run fast mile repeats today.  I would've got out in the afternoon, but the legs were still sore.  Two loops at Trexler did a number on the quads yesterday.  After a nap, I felt better in the evening.

The plan was to go to the Nor-Bath Trail.  I looked at a weather map and saw that it was going to rain in about an hour.  I headed there right away.  Weather.com actually said rain wasn't supposed to start until 8:15.  It was very wrong.  It began to rain as I was driving there at 6:30.

Two different people were getting off the rainy trail as I was beginning my run.  They must've thought I was crazy.  All I had was shorts and short sleeves.  That wasn't bad, but with the rain, it did get a little crazy.

Since it was raining, I only could do a mile warmup.  I really wanted to try two miles to get the legs loose.  They didn't feel great after a mile, but I picked it up anyway.  Since the rain messes with my Garmin, I locked the bezel.  Therefore, I had no idea of pace.

I think I only lasted about a quarter mile of fast pace.  It was tough on my legs, but battling the rain was even more difficult.  When I had to stopped at a road crossing, I gave up on running hard.  Instead, I just cruised along.  I figured I would run 5 miles total.

I started to feel a little better.  I passed a young guy that was running too.  I was glad to see that I wasn't the only crazy runner.  I ran past Bicentennial Park.  The warmup mile was an 8:13.  This somewhat fast mile 2 was 7:34.

I turned around at mile 2.  I didn't feel like going out the extra half of a mile.  I figured that I could add on later.  The rain was getting worse and worse.  I didn't try to, but because of it, I ended up picking up the pace.  The 3rd mile was a brisk 7:01.

By the halfway point, it was raining heavy.  I was now getting quite soaked.  The trail was getting sloppy too.  I didn't really want to run on pavement, but I opted to go out on the paved park path.  That is open and it was actually quite cold with the rain.  I saw the kid running again.  I was able to add about .7 miles to the run.

Mile 4 was kind of quick too, at 7:11.  I got to the end of the path at 7.76 miles.  I turned around and ran out another .1 miles and then came back.  I was soaked by then and thrilled to be done.  The quads tired some by the end, so the final mile was a 7:38.

It was a nice, short run in the rain.  I do like running in the rain, but this was a bit much.  I was soaked with less than 40 minutes of running.  At least I was only running short today.  My legs have struggled to recover.

This is a good test for my legs.  I want to get in back to back 15-20 mile easy weekend trail runs.  One day will be at Jacobsburg.  I am not sure about the other day.  I might need to rest a lot next week.  Whatever the case, I need to focus on my ultra now.  It's only three weeks away.

5 miles - 37:35 (7:31 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment