Saturday, April 12, 2014

End of Two Big Weeks

Today was the final day of running for the week.  This is the most mileage I've ever done.  It's the second week ever of over 80 miles.  Last week, was the first time I went over that milestone.

I needed 8 miles to get to 80, but I wanted to run 82 miles.  I finally slept well and got to the BCR run.  It was at the Route 33 Boat Launch. 

The weather was great.  It was a bit chilly standing around in short sleeves, but I was fine once I started running.  My clothing selection was good.

It rained overnight, so things were a little wet, but overall not too bad.  We headed toward Bethlehem on the stone section.  Mertz, Gayle, Tom and a few others took off.  I haven't been feeling strong with all the miles I've been putting in, so I had no desire to go with them.

I ended up behind the front of the group.  Kelley was running without her stroller and baby.  That meant she was going a little faster.  I ended up running with her.

We chatted and the miles went by pretty quickly.  We decided we would head out 3 miles and then go in the other direction when we got back.  I was planning to run 7 miles and Kelley wanted to run 8 miles.

Everyone passed us on the way back.  It wasn't too long until we were turning around.  We did so right before getting to Kimberly.  It was almost mile 3 at that point.

The pace was under 8:15 for some time.  On the way back, a loud train went by across the river.  That must be really annoying for the people living in those houses.

Kelley told me I could go faster, but I decided not to.  I figured why run slightly faster and run alone.  I would've liked if we were going a little quicker, but I preferred the company.

I ran this softer section yesterday.  It seemed to help my legs and feet.  It was more of the same today.  My legs were terrible in the middle of the week, but they seemed to get a little better by today.  At least they weren't worse.

Kelley wanted to go to breakfast, so she asked the group where they were going after the run.  We headed back out in the other direction.  It didn't take long until we turned around.  Originally, I was going to do 7 miles, but I had time for an 8th mile, so I ran the whole thing with her.

It was good to be done with the first run, but I still needed a few miles yet.  I went to the Lafayette spring football game.  Shortly after lunch, I headed to Bicentennial Park to run 3 miles on the Nor-Bath Trail.  I had to at least run 3 miles.

It was very warm by the time I started.  There was a nice breeze at least.  I decided I'd go out 1.5 miles and turn around.

In the fist half mile, I was very stiff and awful.  It felt slow.  I was actually amazed to see the pace was around 9 minutes flat.  I didn't think I was moving that fast.

Eventually, the legs came around and I felt good.  My lower back had been sore too.  The first mile was an 8:17.

I cruised along and enjoyed the soft surface.  I might need to head here a few times this week, to save my legs.  There were quite a few people running, walking and biking when I was there.  I blew by one runner.

I decided to just keep going until Savage Road.  That put me at almost 2 miles.  I nearly caught a few more runners.  I felt good as I went back.  Mile 2 was easy and a solid 7:18.

This run went by quickly.  Before I knew it, I was at mile 3.  That final mile was a 7:13.  I finished before crossing the road again.  That worked out great.  I walked almost a mile to cool down.

I'm not sure what I'm doing tomorrow.  Ryan is having an organized BCR half marathon run.  I'd like to go, but I also could use the rest.  If I sleep well, I might give it a go.  Otherwise, I'll likely rest two days in a row. 

Next week, will be a much needed cutback week.  I'll run 40 or 50 miles.  I'll probably do the same the following week.  That should allow me to recover.  I've now ran 163 miles in the last 14 days.  I need to absorb that training.

AM Run 8 miles - 1:05:58 (8:15 pace)
PM Run 3 miles - 22:48 (7:36 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment