Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Rainy Repeats and Jacobsburg

I took yesterday off and recovered very well from all the weekend trail running.  Since I was feeling good, I wanted some speedwork.  It is going to be a rainy week, so went right after work and tried to beat the rain.  I was unsuccessful with that, as it began to rain as I was driving to the D&L at Cementon.

Since I was planning to run fast, I wore shorts and a short sleeve shirt.  I had on a hat, to keep the rain away.  That was a huge help.

I didn't exactly have a plan.  I was just going to run 800 repeats.  I would've loved to had made it a full Yasso 800 and done 10 repeats.  I haven't done 800s in a long time though, so I wasn't sure what I could handle.

The warmup felt good as I headed out.  The raindrops were light.  There was some wind, but it wasn't too bad.  It ended up being worse in the other direction.

Perhaps the hardest thing when doing a workout like this is that I don't have a great sense of pace.  I usually don't run this fast.  It's not something that I can't handle, but it is out of my comfort zone.  The first repeat was a little fast at 2:54.  I was hoping to run most, if not all of these under 3 minutes.

The recovery felt good and it was over quick.  The second repeat wasn't as fast as I would've liked.  I think there might have been some slight uphill.  I could've pushed more in the end and got under 3 minutes, but it was too early for that.  I was simply trying to be consistent.  My 3:01 time was good enough.

I recovered again and was back at it for repeat #3.  The rain was coming down heavier.  I decided that this would be my final repeat going out.  I was starting to feel it.  I got back under 3 minutes with a 2:52.

I turned around right near a house along the trail.  I recovered okay again and took off for the 4th repeat.  My legs began to feel it and I felt off toward the end.  It was still a 2:56.  I was pretty happy with that.

By the time I started my 5th one, I was running into a very big headwind with a lot of rain blowing in my face.  It wasn't ideal, so that made it a perfect challenge.  I was good in the beginning of this repeat, but everything took it's toll.  I felt off toward the end.  I was gassy and felt like I had to go to the bathroom.  I still ended up with a 3:02 repeat.

I was close to my limit and now that I had to go to the bathroom, I had no choice but to quit after that one.  It go so bad that I had to start walking during the recovery.  I began looking for spots along the trail.  Luckily, walking helped make it go away.  The only problem was I had to walk over a mile back to the car in the freezing cold of the rain.

I would've liked a few more repeats, but I'll take 5 of them considering the conditions.  I probably could do 7 or 8 of them at that pace on a good day.  This will give me something to build on.  I pushed myself and hopefully some more speedwork can make me faster.  I signed up for a July marathon, so I need to get a little faster.

Since I only ran 4.92 miles and felt good afterward, I wanted more.  It looked like the rain might subside in the evening.  It didn't, but I thought a trail run at Jacobsburg would be fun anyway.  I headed there just before 7 PM.

It was raining more than earlier and it got colder too.  I questioned whether to wear a jacket.  I put the heavier one on with the hood.  That worked out well.  I was freezing early on and even put it over my hands, but I was comfortable by the end of the run.

I decided to run the Sober's Run area.  I didn't want to run up the powerline early, so I ran it in reverse of my usual direction.  That meant some fun, muddy singletrack early.  There was some mud, but it was actually more of puddles. 

As I was going through this fun section, some deer ran from down below.  They went through the creek.  I think there were 5 of them.  After running hundreds and hundreds of miles there without seeing any deer, I've now had two fairly recent sightings.  Right after that, a big bird flew off the trail.  It almost seemed like the size of a turkey.  Maybe it was.  I didn't get a good look at it.

Normally, I do enjoy playing in the mud, but I have to admit, this rain was too cold.  It wasn't a lot of fun.  I saw a guy with two fish walking the main trail back to his car.  I then headed to this singletrack along the creek.  This is a fun section that was very flooded.

I was back to the main trail shortly and over 1.5 miles into the run.  I headed up the gradual hill.  This might be tougher than the other direction.  I then turned down a trail, looking for another singletrack section.  This turned out to be wrong though, so I ended up going back downhill.

I did find the singletrack, but was on the wrong end of it.  I headed back up the hill and got back on to the main trail.  The gradual climb seemed to take forever.  I was over 3 miles into the run now. 

I got to the horse stable at the top of the hill and the horses were out.  Around this time, I looked at my watch and the overall pace was 9:22.  I didn't care too much about pace, but was curious where I was at.

Going downhill was enjoyable.  I thought I'd have fun and do the short singletrack loop along both sides of the creek.  That was a blast and I lost track of where I was at.  I didn't feel as cold now and it seemed like the rain had slowed down.  I was happy with that.

I crossed over the bridge and came back on the other singletrack section.  This is often wet, so I knew it would be today.  It was soaked.  I cruised along and my pace dropped.  As I got near my car, I realized that I was around a 9 minute pace.

I eventually went under that pace.  I was almost at 5 miles at my car.  I opted to run out a little past that and make it 10 total miles for the day.  It was a fun day in the rain, with two very different runs.

Tomorrow, it is supposed to pour again.  I'd love to run another 10 miles or more.  Maybe I can do that with one run.  It would sure be nice if it was a warmer rain tomorrow.  If I don't run much, then I guess I'll pick it up on Thursday.

800 repeats 4.92 miles - 33:56 (6:54 pace)
Splits 2:54, 3:01, 2:52, 2:56, 3:02 (2:57 average)
Jacobsburg 5.08 miles - 45:23 (8:56 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment