Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Rethinking My Plans

A bunch of friends ran Boston yesterday.  Trying to qualify has sort of been my focus over the last few months (even as I'm not sure when I'm going to race a marathon again).  It sort of hit me last night that I should probably do some training for my first 50 miler in a few weeks.

I'm in good shape and putting in a lot of mileage.  My endurance is good.  Still, I haven't done anything specific to prepare for this big race.  It's just sort of been an afterthought.  I have barely been on any trails at all this spring.  I have a lot of 10+ mile runs, but not much in the 17+ mile range lately.  I've been running all flat stuff, so I've incorporated very few hills.

I think starting this week, I'm finally going to go to the trails more.  I'm also going to do some longer, slower runs.  I'll add hills as well.  I still won't be prepared enough, since I'm kind of cramming this into just a few weeks.  However, I'm only doing the race to finish and have fun.  Still, it seems daunting because I fell apart in a 50k and now I have to figure out how to run 19 more miles.  I know I'm more fit now, but that's a big task anyway.  I'm glad that I have Angie running it with me.

I'm still kind of in between what I want to do though.  Since I have a half marathon coming up in June as well, I was hoping to run a good quality workout today.  Things didn't go too well.

The temperature has rose like crazy.  It hit 70 degrees this afternoon and was muggy.  I thought it felt nice, but that was before I began the run.  I wanted to eat lunch and then run, but storms were coming in later in the afternoon.  I had to get out right before the storms.  I wore shorts and a singlet.

I headed to Riverview again.  I took yesterday off, so I felt awesome in the beginning.  Usually, I can tell when a fast run will be good because of the warmup.  I thought for sure that that would be the case today.  The legs were so fresh and I was cruising along.  The warmup mile got faster and faster and ended up being a 7:13.

Maybe that was too fast.  The plan was 4/4.5 miles at a sub 6:30 pace.  Then, I'd run 2 miles easy and another hard segment like the first one.  I picked it up when the fast segment started.  In hindsight, I might've been running fast enough at the end of the warmup mile.  This early part of the fast running was under 6:10.

I was feeling fast, but breathing hard and this certainly wasn't easy.  I came through this fast mile at 6:20.  I blew past some geese that I almost didn't see.  I continued on.

I tried not to think too far ahead, but it was difficult not too.  This pace shouldn't have felt this hard.  I guess I was struggling with the humidity.  I tried backing off, but it is hard to back off slightly.  If I could've run these first two miles closer to 6:30, I might've done better.

I got to the part of the trail that goes under the bridge.  A bunch of geese were blocking the path, so I turned around sooner than I wanted.  It was less than 2 hard miles into the run at that point.  This second fast mile ended up being a 6:22.

Heading back, there was some slight uphill.  That made it challenging at this pace, but that was a good challenge.  Since as storm was coming, I was running into some wind.  I struggled to not fall apart.  I was getting frustrated and this run was becoming so hard.  At 2.5 hard miles, I started to do my recovery.  That was 1.5 miles sooner than planned.  My pace was slipping over 6:30 at that point and I was getting worse and worse.  I could tell I overdid it.

I thought maybe some recovery would help.  However, my foot had bothered me on the bottom again while I was running hard.  Both of my feet were sore from the pavement.  I thought it was probably wiser to not make it worse.  I just decided to run easy for 1.5 miles.  I quit at mile 5 overall.

This run was a huge disappointment.  I wanted 8 or 9 hard miles, but only ran 2.5 of them.  Some of it was the weather and some of it is my beat up feet.  I definitely need to get to softer places for fast running.  Maybe the next time I try a workout like this, I can go to the Nor-Bath Trail. 

This is the second terrible run in a row.  With warmer weather coming, I might have to readjust my training.  I clearly struggle in this weather.  Maybe if I'm going to run hard, I'll try getting up and running it super early in the morning before work.  We shall see.  I can't decide whether I'll run a summer marathon or not.  I might do it with no expectations.  That's easier said than done though.

After resting, I decided that I needed to get back out there in the evening.  I wanted an enjoyable run.  I headed to Jacobsburg for an easy 4 miler.  I figured I'd run the loop by the main parking lot.  I thought that was about 4 miles long.  This time, I'd run it in reverse.

The earlier rain cooled it off, but only slightly.  It was still muggy and humid.  I wore shorts and a shirt again.  Even with the easy run, I was soaked by the end.

I started off by the new building.  Then, there were some uphills.  I went super easy.  I also felt so relaxed.  I knew the hills would be kind of tough, but actually they weren't bad.

The biggest issue is that even with little effort, I wound up breathing heavy in the muggy air.  I didn't look at my watch at all in the first mile.  It was a 9:04 mile.  With how slow I ran and the hills, I was surprised that it was that fast.

I cruised along.  The miles seemed to take a long time.  I was enjoying the scenery though.  I noticed Wind Gap in the background.  That was cool.  I tried not to look at my watch until mile 2, but I accidentally took a peak around 1.6 miles.

I didn't even hear the watch beep for the second mile.  That one was 7:54.  I looked down and it was at 2.17 miles.  Now, I had mostly downhill to enjoy.  Before that, there was some gradual uphill that was slightly challenging.

I went easy downhill as well.  This third mile seemed to take awhile.  It was nice running alongside the creek.  I realized that this route would be shorter than I thought though.  Mile 3 was an 8:08.

I arrived back at my car at mile 3.4.  I thought about beginning the loop again, to get to mile 4.  Instead, I went across the road.  That would give me some slight uphill too.  I continued on.  At 3.95 miles, I saw two people walking up ahead, so I turned around and got to mile 4.  That was an 8:22.

This run was so relaxing and much needed after the terrible afternoon run.  I need to get on to trails more.  Even though everything is still dead, it is nice anyway.  It saved my legs too.  Oddly, it began to rain as I was walking back at the end of each run today.

Tomorrow, I'm meeting Kelley in the morning.  We're doing a short 4 miles.  Then, I want to run at Trexler in the afternoon.  I really want to run 2 loops, even if they are super slow.  The tricky part is that I often struggle to run 1 loop there on my own.  Two might be very difficult.  It is a good mental task though.  I plan to walk a lot of of the hills.

Afternoon Run  5 miles - 34:33 (6:55 pace)
Evening Run 4 miles - 33:28 (8:22 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment