Monday, August 29, 2011

Wilson Bike Path Tempo Run

Originally, I was hoping to head to Riverview Park in Easton and do my 4 mile tempo run (3 miles at 10K pace).  With the hurricane having just come through, all the roads were closed.  Because that delayed my start, I then had to find a bathroom in addition to a new running location.  I decided to head to Wilson and run on the bike path.

I've run here before when I just started out and I ran north.  I wasn't sure how far I could get, so I started south this time behind the Taco Bell.  The first mile was a warmup.  That was good because there were some busy road crossing as well as a little hill.  Actually the hill was downhill though.

There was a lot of debris on the trail from the trees, so I was grateful I was running the trail and not biking on it.  The second mile was at tempo pace.  I cruised along and felt pretty good.  The plan was to go a quarter mile past the halfway point.  I didn't want to deal with the busy intersects at the end.  I got worried because I looked at my watch and thought I was running a 6 min pace.  It didn't feel like it and it turns out that was just my running time for that mile.  I ran a nice 7:44 pace for that mile and right about on target.

I sure couldn't have asked for cooler weather.  It felt like late fall rather than late summer.  There was a breeze which made it a little tough.  I haven't run with wind much to date.  It wasn't any better as I hit the turnaround either.  After the turnaround, my IT band started to bother me a little.  I kept a good solid pace though and worked on keeping my form.

That third mile was a fast 7:32.  I labored a little bit in the last mile.  The pace was getting to me a bit.  I focused again on my form though and being smooth.  I need to keep doing this.  There was a road crossing that I had to wait for a car at.  That slowed me and also broke my rhythm a bit.  In the final third to quarter mile, my kneecap starting acting up a bit.  Luckily, it was right before finishing and it hasn't really bothered me since.

All my minor tweaks seem to be on the right side.  Either I'm favoring a side or I have a leg length difference.  The only problem I had on my left side was my shin splint early on.  I really need to try working in some more strengthening exercises, especially my hips.

Since I see disc golf all around the trails that I run, I decided to buy a set today.  I might practice some this afternoon.  I have a meeting this evening at the LV Roadrunners Club house.  I volunteered to lead some group runs.  We'll see how that turns out.  Tomorrow is a scheduled easy run.  I'm going to go at an easy pace, but I might run at Trexler and challenge myself with the hills.

4 miles - 31:49 (7:58 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment