Thursday, August 25, 2011

Cementon Trail

I read in the paper the other day that they had completed a section of rail trail along the Lehigh for about 20 miles.  I decided to head to the nearest trail head for a run.  I started at Cementon (on the other side of Northampton).

I slept in a little because we had some rain pass through.  It was dry, but cloudy when I started the 5 mile fartlek.  I ran the first 1.25 miles slowly before starting into the faster segments.  I went 3 minutes fast, 3 easy, 4 fast, 4 easy, 5 fast and was going to do the remainder easy.  I didn't feel like having that long of a cooldown though, so I did 2 minutes easy and two more relatively hard.

This trail is nice and well groomed.  The gravel is so small that I probably could ride my bike on it.  It is cool that they left some of the old railroad ties along the route and it's nice with the scenic river alongside.  That said, I really don't care much for rail trails.  They are usually flat and feel too much the same.  That is why I chose it for speedwork though.

All the hard segments were pretty tough, but I really flew and pushed it on the 5 minute segment.  I ran that at what is now a blistering 7:12 pace for me.  It's good to teach myself to go that fast again.  Hopefully, I'll get back there in no time.

The cooldown is always very tough for these runs.  It is just so much slower after you've run fast and it seems to take forever.  That segment was only 0.9 miles, but it seemed to take forever.  I was relieved to be done.

I finished just in time as the rains were starting again.  I could probably use some running the rain though.  Afterward, I treated myself to a nice ice bath.  Those take some getting used to, but really seem to help the legs recover.

Last night, after my main run, I put on my Vibrams and did some drills in the grass.  I did strides, kick butts and high knees the length of half the soccer field.  The girl from the Finish Line was talking to me about keep form and being relaxed.  That is something I need to work on and drills can help with that.  I tried to concentrate on being smoother during my run today as well.

I also ran in my Vibrams for the first time.  They felt pretty good.  I only did two short loops around the parking lot in front of the school next to my house.  I definitely was heel striking to start, but it did seem like I used my midfoot more as the run went on.  I don't plan on ever going full time in those things, but I want to start using them more for light work.

5 miles - 42:35 (8:31 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment