Saturday, August 27, 2011

BCR at Nor-Bath Trail

Yesterday was my off day, but went for a challenging hike.  I headed to the Delaware Water Gap and hiked up Mt. Tammany.  It was quite rocky and hot.  The top provided an amazing view though and I got some spectacular photos.  I using trekking poles and they really helped reduce the stress on my legs.

Saturday, it was back to run.  I got up early to run again with the Breakfast Club Runners (second week in a row).  Early in the week, I suggested the Nor-Bath Rail Trail, which is close to me.  They liked the idea and we headed out there.

This time, my fast teammate just went flying ahead.  I again stuck with a group of two other guys (one the same one from last week).  The pace was much more manageable early on (around 8:15).  That was a big help.

We coasted along for a couple miles.  Two others then caught up with us before two and a half miles.  Two of the guys turned around then and one of the guys picked up the pace and flew ahead.  I ended up running with one of the women for half a mile before I was on my own.

I turned around after three and a half miles.  The seven miles total would equal my longest during this cycle.  Going back was tough.  The pace was easier early on when compared to last week, but it was very humid.  I was drenched in sweat and that made it hard to keep up.

I just kept focusing on making it to the next mile.  I knew once I got to the last mile, I could really will my way through it.  One of the fast guys passed me on the way back.  I almost caught another guy, who wasn't with my group.  He did help to pull me along though.  I ended up running further than most of the group, so I didn't catch much of anyone.  I did catch two runners in the last mile and just before I planned to catch them.

While I was tiring, I focused a lot on keeping good form and trying to stay smooth.  It is something I definitely need to keep working on.  The last mile was a solid 7:57 pace.  It was a great workout and I didn't overdo it like I might've last week.  This time I had enough energy left to go to breakfast with the group.  There were about 19 of us at the nearby diner and it was a good time.

My kneecap was a little sore this afternoon and I've been icing it.  Maybe some easier runs and some trails this upcoming week will help.  I also developed a small blood blister on my toe.

All in all, it was a great run.  These group runs are just what I need to progress.  They push me a little bit more than I could push myself during training.  Of course, meeting new people is great too.  The pace was only 6 second per mile slower than my 5K race pace from mid July.  That's nearly the same pace at over double the distance and during a training run.  This was my longest mileage week yet too.  I hit the 25 mile mark.  My running is definitely coming along and I'm having a blast.  Things are looking up.

7 - 57:21 (8:12 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment