Saturday, July 2, 2016

Smile Run

The Delps Trail stone steps repeats crushed my calves.  They never get sore any more, but they've been that way now for two days.  I guess it was an amazing workout.  I felt like running again today though.  I figured I'd stick to flatter stuff.

It was a nice and cool day.  Shorts and a short sleeve shirt were great.  Still, I was sweating some of course and huffing an puffing a bit.

I decided that I wouldn't run on a true trail.  Instead, I'd hit the D&L at Cove Road.  With the cliffs and river, it almost feels like a nature trail.  The plan was for 6 miles.

They have added more parking there and the trailhead has become crazy busy.  There are tons of rafters using the water and parking in the lot.  I found a space and took off for my 6 mile run though.  The plan was 3 miles out and back.

The cutest thing happened in the beginning.  A kid of maybe 5 or 6 years of age saw me running.  He was starting his walk with his family.  He started running along side me.  It was funny and I tried to encourage him a little and said "good job" after our brief encounter.

The trail is certainly never busy, but there were quite a few bikers on it and walkers as well.  I did see some runs after I was done, but I'm often surprised I don't see more people running on it.

I took it nice and easy.  I cruised along.  It was a gradual uphill to start.  The trail is pretty and it was a great day.  However, I just still can't take easy trails.  I think the issue is my mind doesn't have to focus on rocks and such, so it wanders.

The first 15 minutes took forever.  It felt like 45 minutes.  I didn't even look at my watch that much.  I'm sure being heavy isn't helping me feel good while running either.

It was good to get to 1.5 miles, but I was still moving slow.  I noticed the Mountain Laurel starting to bloom.  They should be great in a week or so.  Maybe I can head up to Jim Thorpe then.

Getting to mile 2 was good as well, but still seemed to take longer than it should.  I was glad I only committed myself to 6 miles.  I figured that point would be near where the horses are.  I didn't notice them today, but I did end up turning around near that spot.

There was a cute woman biking with her kid just before the turn around.  I realized the run would take less than 55 minutes.  Now, I would be doing a little more downhill, although the trail is generally flat.

I just focused on mile 4.  I got there and was feeling okay.  I was keeping a pretty consistent pace.  I then got past that and on to mile 5.  I couldn't believe how busy the river was.  A jet ski provided a distraction.

The final mile was basically downhill.  My pace got a little faster and I cruised on in.  Since the run is a curve, it is actually longer on the way back, so I went a little over 6 miles.  I was happy to be done.

I was going to give this run a standard name.  Then, I looked at the map of it and it was almost a perfect curve.  It reminded me of a smile, which was perfect since it was a good day and a good run.

I'll see if my calves feel better tomorrow.  They didn't hurt during the run, but they remain sore at other times.  I'm meeting up with Sue and some other people.  We are running Jacobsburg at night.  I figure I'll probably do 10 miles.  It is cool that we got permission from the park and I guess the police.  I'm always up for a night run and haven't done one in some time.

6.08 miles - 53:48 (8:51 pace) 169 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment