Friday, April 1, 2016

Six Mile Run Reservoir

I had a day off from running, but had to get back at it today.  I was feeling fine after the run the other day.  I wanted a decent outing.  Since I didn't have to work, I decided to head to New Jersey.  I wanted to run at Six Mile Run Reservoir.  It is supposed to be a nice, small trail about an hour away.  It took me longer though, since I drove the route through the city.  I was the only car at the lot and almost missed the lot.

It was cloudy before I left.  I thought I might need a jacket for rain.  I stepped outside and realized that wouldn't be the issue.  It was crazy humid.  Luckily, I had a singlet in my bag.  I wore that and could've even gone shirtless.  Of course I had on shorts too.

I tried to take it easy as I started out.  I'd mostly being going out and back on the Red Trail, plus a loop on the White Trail.  I figured that would be about 8 total miles, maybe a little more.  This was a beautiful singletrack.  It was along the creek and at times above it.  The clay was smooth, with few rocks.

I was anticipating an easy run, but it didn't take me long to figure out this wouldn't be quite that easy.  The heat and humidity was a huge factor.  It was through the roof, even taking it easy in the effort department.  The bigger issue was the trail.  I thought it would be flat, but it was very rolling.  It was designed by mountain bikers and had lots of small ups and downs and tons of curves.  I'm sure that is fun on a bike, but it sucks to run.

I should've been enjoying this run in nature, but really I wasn't.  I kept looking at my watch.  It was great to just get to mile 2.  I thought about turning around early.  I nearly stepped on a few small snakes.  The green is definitely coming in along the trail there, more so than it is up here.  Everything is still bare in this area.

I continued to follow the red.  It was nice is the shaded parts, but still frustrating.  I got tired of turning and was bitching to myself a lot.  I kept running though.  At first, I saw no people, but later on there were quite a few mountain bikers out.  I had just missed a dog walker.

After mile 3, I came to a split.  The White Trail was to the left.  I took that way.  I didn't know which part of this loop was shorter, but I was running the whole thing, so it didn't matter.  It turns out this was the harder parts, with more continuous ups and downs.  It was better to hit that earlier.

I continued to just keep moving and keep bitching.  I saw a mountain biker and thought of asking how much farther to the parking area.  I went to mile 4 and then well past it.  I really thought of turning around, but was determined to finish the run as planned.  I went through a field and the trail even turned there.

It was such a relief when I finally came to the parking area.  That was way farther than I expected, at around 4.7 miles.  A woman in the parking lot said "Hi."  I went around to the other side of the lot to keep the loop going.

This part was so much better.  It was actually flat and straight.  I couldn't believe it.  I could run with more efficient strides and open it up a little.  Of course it was exposed to the sun and I was hot.

I continued to follow the red.  At one point, red went left.  I followed it a bit, with more ups and downs.  I noticed the creek was still on the wrong side for me to be heading back.  I didn't think I'd cross the creek, so I turned and headed back.

This was a great choice, as I had just been going farther out.  I went back to the split and headed the correct way now.  This was some fairly flat and smooth running along the ridge.  It was much better than some of the beginning stuff.  I was happy to be through mile 6.

I just tried to focus on the upcoming mile and keep running.  I was thrilled when I realized I was on a section that I had been on earlier.  I was now truly headed back.  I crossed over the concrete bridge over the creek again.

I got to mile 7, but was so beat.  I was slowing badly and barely moving.  It was so awful that around 7.2 miles, I nearly quit and hiked back.  The problem wasn't just that I was dead, but I thought a lot of up and down was coming.

I don't know what it was, but things weren't as bad as I expected.  Sure, I was slow, thirsty and overheating.  However, the hills didn't seem as much of a challenge in this direction.  Maybe just knowing I was going back helped.  Getting to mile 8 was great.

I had wished I known a key point and distance.  I was just running to the end and unsure quite where that would be.  I figured on a little over 9 miles.  It turns out I was correct on that guess.

I started to hear cars around mile 9.  Then, I could see the road.  Finally, I popped out of the trail and to the parking lot.  I stopped my watch and was beat.  I was so overheated.  Unless I ran on perfectly flat, I couldn't have done more than a mile without some hiking mixed in.

It was much harder than I expected today.  I was thrilled to get it done.  The leg didn't bother me at all.  It is mildly sore at the moment, but that should pass.

I may run tomorrow.  Sunday is supposed to suck and I have to get out there one day.  I'd love to get 10 miles in tomorrow, but I also have to work too.  I'm sure I'll stay local if I do run.

9.27 miles - 1:37:49 (10:33 pace) 74 feet of elevation gain NOT CORRECT

No comments:

Post a Comment