Monday, April 11, 2016

Crazy Buggy Merrill Creek

I felt good after the Trexler run, except I had an upset stomach that day.  I took yesterday off, so I would be getting out there today.  I'm starting to at least feel a little hunger coming back.  Maybe it is with spring around the corner.  I didn't work, but since it was a rainy and cloudy day, I didn't want to take a chance with traveling.  Instead, I went to Merrill Creek.  I wanted to get in 7 miles.  That is a little more than a loop.

I wore shorts and a short sleeve shirt.  The rain had stopped in the afternoon and it was quite warm for a change.  It wasn't bad running weather.  The pace ended up being a little quick, so I was sweating by the end.

I went to the bathroom beforehand and saw tons of bugs.  I thought they were just hanging around the bathroom.  I'm not sure what they were, but they were everywhere.  It was insane.  I started the loop and there they were.  I couldn't keep my mouth open or I'd swallow some.

I cruised along nice and comfortable.  It was still buggy back in the woods, but nowhere near as bad.  Then, I hit the first dam and wow, they sure were back.  I ran along anyway.  The first mile was a little over 9 minutes.

Again, I was back in the woods and much better.  I was running quite well and almost enjoying myself.  There was no one on the water and I couldn't see any people hiking on the trails or over the dams either.

I was starting to feel good and then I came to the second dam.  It was way worse than the first one.  It was so crazy and I almost couldn't see or breathe.  I had to cover my mouth with my shirt and simply peek with my eyes.  I ran over this dam quickly.

The second mile had made the pace nearly 9 minutes flat.  Now, I knew I'd slow.  I was on the singletrack.  All the blowdowns that were probably there recently were now cleared.  I cruised along, having fun on some less buggy stuff.  Even in the woods, if I was close to the water, it was buggy.

I finally saw a woman hiking with her dog.  Then, another guy was hiking with two dogs.  I wasn't pushing hard, but I wasn't exactly cruising either.  I believe I was under a 9 minute pace at mile 3.

There was some slight uphills that were a little challenging.  I ran over them though and made my way to dam number three.  Again, it was more bugs.  Dam number four is close as well and of course there were bugs there.

I love the next singletrack section.  It was slightly less buggy there, but the keyword is slightly.  They were everywhere and it was hard to see and focus.  This terrain is quite rocky too.  Of course my pace now slowed to over 9 minutes and I knew it would stay that way.

Eventually, I got to the footbridge at the edge.  I usually take the black trail.  However, the yellow trail actually hugs the shoreline and is longer.  At one point, I got off course and ended up adding a little distance. 

Back on the yellow was the craziest part yet.  It was so rocky.  It was like running the AT.  I had to dance all around and focus.  This, all while bugs were everywhere.  This might've actually been fun without the bugs.

I came to mile 5, glad to be through the technical stuff.  Now, it was grass and woods road type of terrain.  Some times, the bugs were less of an issue, others they were crazy.  I startled a couple hiking and they were annoyed by the bugs too.

I was glad to be over 10K now.  I got to the main building around 6.5 miles or so.  I ran out briefly on the entry road and then turned around.  I ran down to my car and was covered in more bugs.  I choked on one, right as I was finishing up at mile 7.

I wanted to stretch at the car, but I needed to just get in it and away from the bugs.  To say they were the story of the run would be an understatement.  I've never run with that many bugs around.  It was insane.  I was glad I kept going and got the 7 miles done.

I was planning on an off day tomorrow and another run on Wednesday.  I found out I have a doctor's appointment on Wednesday, so maybe I'll run tomorrow instead.  I'll probably just run 3 days this week.  No need to rush this build up.

7 miles - 1:05:48 (9:24 pace) 549 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment