Friday, April 8, 2016

Friday Evening at J-burg

The weather has sucked royally lately.  It poured like crazy yesterday.  Today, it was cold and windy again.  Still, I finally forced myself out after dinner.  I convinced myself that I could just handle 4 easy miles at Jacobsburg.

I wore a long sleeve shirt under my shell.  I had on shorts.  Since it wasn't as windy as at home, I was a little hot.  The attire worked out good though.

I had no real plan on what route to take.  I normally don't run this short there.  I decided to go straight across from the main lot.  I usually do a loop farther out.  This early part today is fun with a neat curved trail. 

I thought I heard a couple mountain bikers earlier.  Then, I was startled a few minutes later, when they actually passed me on this stretch.  They slowly went ahead.  I had rushed out the door after eating, so I didn't feel great.  I felt heavy.

I continued on though.  I ran slowly along the trail next to Route 33.  I decided I would just loop around this area.  It seemed like I was going slowly.  I started to not feel so great.

Things got bad as I went downhill.  I had to stop and hike.  Normally, that makes the urge to go to the bathroom go away.  It didn't today, so I had to go in the woods.  That's only the 2nd time that has ever happened to me.

Since I was only 1.33 miles or so into the run, I decided to just start over.  I'd run 4 miles from the point where I stopped.  I decided to head back a little different way.  I did feel better now.

I wasn't moving all that fast though.  I cruised along and eventually went past the red barn and crossed the road.  I decided I'd go up the fun ridge part.  I normally run this the other way.

While it was fun, it was a challenge too.  It seemed like a bit of a climb.  I ran up over the tree roots, instead of down them.  I saw a young girl walking.  What I didn't see was her newborn puppy.  I had to go around it, without much room.

There weren't many people out.  This family was the only ones I saw on the ridge.  I thought about heading back to the parking lot, instead, I continued my normal route through here, but in reverse.  I was around 2 miles now.

When I was about to turn and go down the hill, I changed my mind.  I followed the trail.  I wasn't even 100% sure where it would go.  I was pretty confident that it would come out near the end of the field section.  That would add some distance.

It was nice to run some different trails.  I normally just use as much of the perimeter as I can, to get mileage in.  I was just below one of the controlled burn sections.  The wind below some of that in my direction.

There was a blowdown that I had to jump over on the trail.  I saw horse tracks there, but then didn't jump, so I guess the horse went through before the tree went down.  I was correct in that I came out where I thought I would.

I turned right and was headed back toward my car.  I ran past the main building.  A ranger was leading some families on some sort of hike.  I ran past and got back to the parking lot.  Right at the end of the lot, I hit mile 3.

I would head out and back on the main trail for the final mile.  A bunch of people were fishing near the bridge.  It was an uneventful lonely run along the creek.  I was planning on turning at mile 3.55.

I saw the puppy dog and family just before.  I turned around at mile 3.47 instead.  I cruised on back.  I finished up perfectly at the end of the trail and mile 4.

It was a solid, short run, even if it was interrupted.  The leg has been rested and feels good now.  I still won't overdo it though.  I'm glad I made myself at least run a little on this evening.

Tomorrow, I'm hoping to run again.  Kate and I think Kristin are planning on running at Trexler at 6:30 AM.  There is no way I could get up for that, so I'll try to just stay up all night.  It is supposed to be cold and then snow a lot of the day tomorrow.  That should be interesting.  I'm hoping I make it and get the 11 miles in.

Part 1 1.33 miles - 14:35 (10:58 pace) 109 feet of elevation gain
Part 2 4 miles - 38:52 (9:43 pace) 246 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment