Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Rough Tammany Fall Run

I felt good after the Jacobsburg run over the weekend.  With the WV Trilogy on tap later this week, I didn't want to run too much.  I decided to get out there today and loop Mt. Tammany.  It has been awhile since I headed north.

I figured it would be a nice fall day.  It was, however, it was actually kind of warm for a run.  That was especially true considering that I wore a black short sleeve shirt and my hydration vest.  I was soaked by the end of the run.

I headed out early in the afternoon.  I was hoping for two loops, but even one would do.  I also thought I'd see more fall colors.  They are okay now, but definitely a few weeks from their peak.

I started off running until the first steep part.  I was surprised with how labored my breathing was.  It was just too warm.  I began hiking that steep part then.

I had hoped to take a lot of fall color photos and videos today.  I stopped for a few minutes at the first overlook to take some photos.  It wasn't as great as I expected though.  A guy was stopped there too.  I then hiked on past him.  This cost me a few minutes.

I cruised up the boulders with my breathing labored.  It was funny seeing people struggling to go down them.  Too much of this uphill red trail is exposed.  It was quite hot going there.

I passed a few hikers near the top.  I caught up to a woman and her dog.  The dog was running around off the leash.  He was friendly, but it probably was good they didn't encounter the bears up there.

I was fresh near the top, so I ran some parts that I don't normally.  Still, I didn't quite feel great.  I ate lunch an hour before and my head was a mess.  I think maybe my calories were low.  It was very concerning though, as this is my last run before the races.  I've had some good days and some bad days on Tammany though.  I won't worry too much about it.

I took some photos and videos at the view.  Since I was kind of feeling okay (the legs were strong anyway), I ran a bit of the blue trail ridge.  I ran past a few more hikers.

I then ran the whole blue trail down.  My head was still a little screwed up, so I was cautious going down.  I definitely didn't fly down it.  I think some of the hikers I ran by on the technical stuff were impressed though.

I took it easy going down and simply enjoyed myself.  I thought about another loop or out toward Sunfish Pond a bit.  However, I still didn't feel great, so I decided one loop was enough.

I cruised past the waterfall at the bottom.  Then, it was back to the parking area.  I finished up feeling a little better than earlier, but that run still took more out of me than it should have.

I was happy to get back up to Tammany.  This was a frustrating day so close to the big weekend.  Still, I have to just ignore it and see what happens this weekend.  My training isn't where I want it heading into this and perhaps more importantly, my head isn't there either.  That second part is what I'll really need to straightened out if I am going to succeed.

3.57 miles - 57:44 (16:11 pace) 1187 feet of elevation gain
Mt. Tammany 36th Summit of 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment