Saturday, October 3, 2015

Post Rain Chilly Fall Run

I haven't run since last Saturday.  It has been a week of excuses.  First, it was too humid early in the week.  Then, we had crazy rain and cold to end the week.  Even today, it was still chilly and I was going to skip the run.  Instead, I headed to Jacobsburg for around an 11 AM start.

There was no rain, but it was still cloudy and cold.  It was in the upper 40s.  I had on shorts, but I put on my shell jacket over a long sleeve shirt.  I even had on gloves, which I took off early.  I unzipped my jacket too.  I was sweating a lot early, until I got used to it.

My plan was to run 10 miles.  Usually, I run the main loop first and finish with the shorter open field loop.  This time, I started with the open field first.  Even with it being cloudy out, the start was pretty.  The leaves haven't fully changed, but they are turning.  This stretch along the creek is one of the prettiest around.

I started off comfortable.  I knew with cooler weather, I'd be faster than I have been.  The humidity of summer kills me.  This was perfect conditions, even if I was a slightly overdressed.  I also knew I'd be able to run the whole time.

I took the grind up the hill toward the open field.  It was overcast and very windy when I got up to the fields.  I was making some solid time.  I was happy to be running sub 9 minute miles.

I knew the second half of this loop would be fast and downhill.  That was the case and I cruised.  I had been breathing pretty heavy going uphill, but now I was good. 

The only downside to this run was that I was paying too much attention to the pace.  I kept figuring it out in my head.  It seemed to be dropping and dropping.  Because of this pace focus, I didn't enjoy the leaves as much as I could've.

I went back out along the creek again.  Then, it was a gradual uphill.  Some guy was hiking there and I think looking at birds.  I didn't really see many people out there today.  Most were just on the main path.

I kept putting in solid miles.  I got to mile 5 and was tiring a little.  I just focused on being solid though.  I wasn't pushing the pace, but I definitely wasn't going easy either.  I could feel some of the small hills now. 

I concentrated on getting to the powerline hill.  I cruised through the singletrack section.  This was muddy and rocky and the storms knocked some leaves down.  They also knocked down a big tree.  I was able to get around it though and it didn't cost me much time.

A woman was coming out of the parking lot as I was near the powerline.  I later saw her in front of me, but she turned off before I could follow.  Getting up the powerline was my big focus.  I knew I had to be steady.  I felt surprisingly good running up it.  I was stronger than I expected.

My breathing labored some, but this was the final real climb.  I got to the top and it was a huge relief.  Now, it was time to fly.  I opened it up going downhill.

This section can be so fast.  I didn't push too hard, but I did kick it up a gear.  This was a very strong downhill mile.  I had been hoping for a sub 8:30 overall pace, but I didn't think I'd be getting that now.  Still, I wanted a strong finish.

There is a low lying area that often has water.  Usually, you can get around it.  Today, it was higher and I had to run right through it.  I was back on the road and around mile 9 now.

The previous mile took a lot out of me, so I knew this final one would be tough.  The short hills slowed my tiring legs.  I didn't think I had much left, but I pushed forward.  I was surprised with about half a mile left when I realized that I had made up so much time that I actually was going to run a sub 8:30 pace now.

I got back to my car at 9.62 miles.  I wanted 10 miles, so I went out along the creek again.  I ran almost to the hill there.  Then, I saw a dog walker.  I turned around at 9.88 miles and ran to mile 10.

I was under the 8:30 pace.  Earlier, I didn't think I'd get there unless I was really willing to kill myself.  Although the course wasn't challenging, I pushed myself out of my comfort zone.  A week before the WV Trilogy, this was a great run.

I'm not sure what next week will hold.  I've been taking off too much lately.  I'm just going to go out there and do it.  I will be fresh for sure, but I might actually be too rusty.  I'll have a good time anyway.

I don't know if I'll be up for running tomorrow or not.  I definitely want to get another two runs in before my race.  Kristin is going to meet me on Wednesday to run at Lehigh.  I hope to run before that though.

10 miles - 1:24:31 (8:27 pace) 609 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment