Monday, October 26, 2015

First Rail Trail Run in Over a Year

I was a little beat up on Saturday after that run at Lehigh Gap.  I almost got out to Riverview Park yesterday.  That would've been my first road run in over a year.  I just couldn't drag myself out there.

I did need to end this trail running streak.  I wanted to head north today, but didn't have the energy.  Instead, I elected to finally get on some rail trail.  The last time I did that was on the Nor-Bath Trail over a year ago.  Much like today, I would run in the darkness.

It was a little chilly.  I wore a short sleeve shirt with my shell over it.  I was sweating by the end with my visor to hold up the head lamp.  Not surprisingly, I ran a little faster than I wanted to.  It has been so long since I've been on this type of surface.  I actually had to use old road shoes.

I parked at the Bath end of the trail.  There were some dogs about to go for a walk.  They barked at me.  I knew that I'd have the trail all to myself.  I did see animal eyes twice, but that was it.

I started off nice and comfortable.  I felt amazing and fast.  Of course I knew I wasn't going as quick as I felt.  It felt good to run a little differently though.  Not only do I not run with speed any more, but I stop and start so much.  Running the planned 6 miles straight through would be a big thing.

I was thrilled to cross Airport Road with ease.  There would only be two road crossings, but I feared that would cause me some trouble.  Although the miles went by kind of quickly, I sure got bored early.  I was happy that when I first looked at my watch near Bicentennial Park, it was 2.16 miles.  I had less than a mile to turn around.

I focused on the Weaversville Road crossing.  Even now, my legs were a little uncomfortable.  I was definitely working different muscles than I normally do.  I crossed over the road with ease and over the foot bridges farther down.  I turned around at 3 miles. 

I was shooting for a sub 8 minute pace.  I was glad to see that I had built up a decent cushion to that.  Of course I wouldn't settle for that.  I knew I'd end up picking things up a little more.  It was nice to be on the back half of this run.

Again, I was able to cross the road with ease.  I was shocked by this, as it looked busy.  I cruised past Bicentennial Park again.  My legs were definitely hanging on.  I focused on each half mile.

Getting through mile 4 was huge.  I was now looking at a sub 7:45 pace and figured I could do that.  This stretch from the park to Airport Road is simply a lot of nothing.  I got very bored, as I focused on mile 5.  It was great to get there and be well under 7:45 pace.

I calculated pace in my head again and realized a good final mile would put me under 7:40, so I shot for that.  At least I had something to keep me busy.  Once I got past Airport Road, smoothly again I might add, I picked up the tempo.  I wasn't going all out, but was definitely a little uncomfortable.

I finished up under 7:40 pace.  My breathing for most of the run wasn't too bad, although I did get a side stitch.  It was my legs that were holding me back.  They need to get stronger.  I need to mix in more runs like this and faster ones.  I still want to focus on endurance, but find a nice mix of speed.  I think adding striders would help with that too.

Tomorrow, I'm hoping to get back on the trails.  We'll see what I'm up for.  I'd love to go somewhere new.  Maybe I can make it to the Thunder Swamp Trail System this time around.

6 miles - 45:38 (7:36 pace) 68 feet of elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment