Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Changing the Course Around

I took three days off after my tough group run on Saturday.  My quads were bothering me for quite a while, so I sure needed it.  Finally, I got back out there this afternoon.  The plan was just for an easy 3 miler.  Since it wasn't much of a run, I opted just to head to the Nor-Bath Trail.

I get tired of running at the same places over and over again.  Because of that, I often like to go to different locations along the trail to start.  I still end up running the same areas that I do over and over again, but it does help.  It changes the perspective and makes the route feel a little different.  It was a big boost today and I never tired of the route.

This time, I decided that I would see if I could find the park that connects to the trail past Weaversville Road.  I only knew about this section because the 10K that I ran in October went through there.  After going around Bicentennial Park, I eventually found this park.

This park looks nice and new.  It has bathrooms that were locked.  I might have to try going there in the summer.  It was a couple tenths of a mile walk along the paved path to the actual trail.  I decided that I would head east as that seemed like the farthest way to go before I would hit a road crossing.

The weather was right around 40 degrees.  It was a bit chilly.  I still went with just a lightweight long sleeves tech shirt and shorts.  I usually wear shorts until it is under 35 degrees.  The legs don't get too cold.  The one thing I did regret early on was the lack of gloves.  After blowing on my hands, I realized that I could just pull my shirt over my hands.  That was a big help.

I ran along at a nice and comfortable pace.  The trail was a bit soggy from the recent rain.  I felt good.  My breathing wasn't a problem.  That is probably because I wasn't going as fast as some of my runs last week.  I just went nice and easy, not even worrying about the pace.

I passed a couple coming the other direction on my way out.  After going over the three pedestrian bridges, I was surprised at how close Weaversville Road actually was.  For some reason, it seemed farther during past runs.  I wasn't even 3/4 of a mile into the run.

I decided I would turn around if I had to stop for a car.  Otherwise, I'd cross the road and head toward Bicentennial Park.  A car was coming so I turned around.  I passed the couple again, this time from behind.  I also passed a kid walking home from school.  As I left later on, I saw that I was near Catty's High School.  I thought that would've been an awful far walk from Northampton High School.

I got back to the spur trail near my car and was just under a 1.5 miles.  I decided to keep going along the main trail until I hit the next road crossing.  That didn't take too long.  I was just under 2 miles into the run when I turned around.  After an 8:55 first mile, I ran the 2nd mile in 8:25.  I wasn't pushing any more than before, I guess I just warmed up.

I knew I'd get back with well over a half mile to finish up.  I debated going back in the original direction.  Instead, I just decided to run along the spur trail to my car.  That way, I wouldn't have to walk in the cold after the run.  I wasn't crazy about running on hard pavement, but I figured that less than a mile of it wouldn't hurt.

I got to the path with 7/10th of a mile to go and when I got to my car, there was still half a mile left.  This was tough for awhile because it is uphill.  Just past the tunnel, I hit 2.8 miles and knew I could turn around and finish up right at my car.  I did just that.  The downhill finish was nice.

My quads were only a little sore this time.  Only doing 3 miles was probably a big help.  I'm just going to do whatever my body dictates.  If that is no more than 3-5 miles each time out and no more than 3-4 days a week, then so be it.  Clearly, total rest didn't help, so I just have to run through this and be cautious.  I'm going to do a lot of self massaging and might get a massage as well.

I was considering a long bike ride tomorrow.  However, I heard that we are expecting a few inches of snow.  If that is the case, I might consider heading up to the Delaware Water Gap.  I would like to hike there to get some cool snow photos.  We'll see what happens.  Thursday is definitely the group run again.  Hopefully a couple of the women will show up again to run with me.  That would be great.

3 miles - 25:30 (8:30 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment