Saturday, January 12, 2013

Breakfast Club Winter Run

It was Saturday, so it was the Breakfast Club Runners group run.  I only got 2 hours of sleep because I couldn't fall asleep last night.  I considered skipping the run, but I haven't run with the group in awhile.  I also wanted to test out my GoPro camera with the group.  So I headed out for the run.

We met at the Route 33 Boat Launch.  I like that trail because it was a soft surface.  With a lot of rain yesterday, it might've actually been too soft.  Chris said he was just doing an easy 6 miler, but he blew ahead of everyone.  Flo and I were already far back.  I got to chat with Flo briefly, but told her I wouldn't be quick enough to keep up.  She went ahead.

I then spent the rest of the run on my own.  As we turned by the boat club, I could see Chris, but Flo was no longer ahead of me.  I guess she just looped around and finished up early.  I kept on going.  Around this time, I decided to check my camera and then I realized that I didn't have my memory card in.  Now, I wasn't taking any pictures, but running with a device on my head.  The camera was a big reason that I went out to the run today.  Oh well.

The first 2 miles weren't too fast.  They were 8:16 and 8:15.  I was breathing a little heavy though and around 1.5 miles into the run, I was already struggling.  My legs were feeling weak.  I didn't know if it was the lack of rest or what.  I was planning on running 6 miles initially, but I quickly adjusted that to 5 miles.

I kept battling and just looked forward to hitting 2.5 miles.  Getting there and turning around was a big relief.  This 3rd mile was faster at 8:04.  As I was going back, I saw a lot of the others heading back.  That was a big boost.  I still didn't feel good though.  Every half mile felt like a mile.  I was so sluggish.

My legs started getting sorer and sorer.  I couldn't believe that with all the rest I had, that my quads could still bother me.  They sure did though.  The 4th mile was my fastest yet.  I just naturally ended up picking up the pace when I saw the others in the group coming in the other direction.  This mile ended up being 7:58.

With a little over a mile to go, I caught up to Bob.  He was running and walking.  He decided to run with me for a bit.  That was good and I needed it since I was struggling.  I managed to just keep pushing through.  Eventually he stopped and I was back on my own and back to struggling through the final mile.

My legs felt worse and worse.  I struggled even more at the end because I felt like I had to go to the bathroom.  I almost had to stop with 2/10 of a mile left because it got so bad.  I finished up back at my car though with 5 miles complete.  Amazingly, once I started to walk I no longer had to go to the bathroom.

The weather was great.  I wore shorts and a long sleeve shirt.  I was actually hot by the end of the run and could've worn even less.  It is winter though.

I hungout and stretched for a little and chatted with the group.  It was good to catch up.  I thought about breakfast, but then realized I didn't have my wallet.  I wasn't too hungry either anyway.

I really can't believe how sore my quads are.  I probably should've used the foam roller more while I was resting.  Maybe the slow miles on pavement on Thursday evening bothered me.  I bought a small foam roller that I can use while watching TV.  I am going to do that frequently throughout the day.  If things don't get better, I might use the massage gift certificate that I got for Christmas too.  I guess I won't be running consecutive days for awhile.  I need to take care of this somehow.

I'm not sure when I'll run again.  Since I'm sore, it will likely be Tuesday.  I either get an extra day of rest before or after my next run.  I might try a short run on the trails at Trexler.  I also think I need to keep the length of my runs relatively short for awhile.  I don't think I'll run anything over 8 miles until I'm completely healthy.

5 miles - 40:52 (8:11 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment