Monday, November 12, 2012

Time for a Break

Today was a tough run.  It just confirmed what I've known for awhile.  I need a break.  From now until my race next Thursday, I will do no running other than maybe the weekly group run.  I want to keep my fitness going, so I'll still do some biking.  I need to stay off my legs and my banged up quads.

I wasn't too motivated to run this morning or afternoon.  Since it quite warm today (in the 60s), I elected to try a nighttime run.  I went out for dinner, so I waited over 2 hours after that to get going.  Around 8 PM, I started off on the Nor-Bath Trail.  Originally, I was going to go to a parking lot around the middle of the trail and go out and back in each direction.  Then I saw a sign that read, "parking lot and trail closed from dusk until dawn."  I headed to my usual spot at Jacksonville Park and started from there.  I don't really care that the trail is supposed to be closed, but I don't want to park where I shouldn't be.

I had on a headlamp and reflective vest and was on my way.  I hoped to get an easy 7 miler done.  I thought it would be a good way to start the week.  As usual, my quads were sore in the beginning.  I figured they would be fine after they warmed up, but that never happened.

I haven't run through here since the hurricane came around.  There were a couple trees down, including one early on.  I was able to get around them.  The path was in good shape otherwise. 

The run was nice and peaceful.  There was a cool breeze.  I really liked the idea of a night run today because I could avoid looking at my watch too often.  I didn't take a peek until I crossed over Airport Road.  Then I was .65 miles into the run.

Usually by that point, my legs have come around.  I took it nice and slow at that point.  I was well over a 9 minute mile pace.  I was running relatively flatfooted.  My legs were still very sore and just felt dead.  I kept on sputtering along.

At this point, I was already trying to figure out where to cut the run short.  I thought about trying to get 5 miles in.  At least that would be an okay day.  I tried running up on my toes more and that was a little better.  My right foot didn't feel great.  I think it was because I tried to wear an insole.  I won't do that with that foot again.  I will only wear one in my left foot.

I ran by Bicentennial Park and continued to feel like crap.  My 2nd mile dropped under a 9 minute pace, but it was still far from fast.  My easy miles when I felt okay were around 8:20.  This one was only 8:50.

I got out 2.25 miles.  I then just decided that this run was a waste of time.  I wasn't accomplishing anything.  I needed to just cut it off.  Since I was so far out, I had to run back a little.  I decided to just go to 3 miles and then walk the final mile and a half or so.

I was done before I knew it.  It was a long walk back, especially with the breeze.  It was also weird walking through the dark.  I don't feel uncomfortable running there, but going much slower at a walking pace was a little unsettling.

I used to be able to justify running with sore quads because it only bothered me until I got warmed up.  I didn't feel it after a mile of running.  It wasn't slowing me down any either.  That is no longer the case.  It bothered me throughout this 3 mile run and definitely slowed me down.  Now, there is no point in pushing any more.  It is finally time to back off.

I took time off before the half marathon and that helped a little, but clearly not enough.  More rest after the half marathon would've probably helped some more too.  Instead, I took 1 day off and then ran for 5 straight days.  Now, I really have to force myself to rest.

Not only do I need to take time off before the Run for the Diamonds, but after it as well.  I keep saying that I'll have no trouble achieving a lot of my goals if I just stay healthy for a couple years.  I always assume that means if my Crohn's Disease doesn't come back.  If that happens, then oh well, I can only control that to an extent.  What I can't afford to do is miss time because I run myself into the ground.

I'm so hungry, but also have to be patient.  I took my training to the edge in 2009/2010 and now this time around, I've upped it even more.  It is time to back off before I fall off.  Even when I do come back in early December or so, I need to ease into it.  Maybe 3 days a week of running at first and build slowly back into it.  I want to get up to a peak week of 80 miles in a week this spring, but if that doesn't happen, that is fine.  It is more important that I'm healthy enough to run a good solid spring marathon.  That won't happen at this rate.

I've been thinking that I need to do some other stuff too.  I'm going to put creating a training plan on hold for now.  I do need to get a plan to involve some core work and also some strengthening.  I want to work on developing my quads some more, so that they can handle the heavy workload.

For now, it will just be biking to keep up my fitness.  That doesn't work quite as well as running.  I don't tire out as much.  At least it is something to do.  I'm not all the crazy about doing so in the cold.  I will probably just bike in the neighborhood around my house.  That will get boring, but oh well.  It is hopefully just a few weeks.  If anything interesting happens while riding, I will write about it.  Otherwise, I'll just stick to writing about running.

3 miles - 27:02 (9:01 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment