Thursday, November 29, 2012

Speedy and Scenic Group Run

After a few days off, it was back to running today.  Since it is Thursday, it was time for the weekly group run.  We are now meeting at SteelStacks in Bethlehem.  I was hoping this location would bring out a few people in the winter.  It is lit and a beautiful setting.

As I was waiting to run, a young guy showed up on a bike.  Apparently he rode over and was planning to join me for the run.  His name was Noah.  We got to chatting and he said he doesn't run, but wants to start.  He also said he shouldn't have any problem running an 8 minute pace.  I was a little skeptical, at least until he said that he rode across the entire country.  Then I figured that he could probably do alright.

Karl also showed up.  He was there a few weeks ago for the last group run in the Parkway.  That time, he ran with his girlfriend.  This time he came alone.  Flo actually ran into the two of them at the Philadelphia Marathon pasta dinner a couple weeks ago.  It's a small world for sure.

Starting at SteelStacks proved to be an excellent idea.  It is all decorated for Christmas.  There are lights over the street and they project festive images onto the blast furnace.  There aren't much better places to run at night during the Christmas season than Bethlehem.  It will make for some excellent December runs.  The area was a little crowded with Christkindlmarkt going on, but parking wasn't too bad.

It was actually rather nice out (for this time of year anyway).  The temperature was in the 30s, but there was no wind.  I struggled with what to wear only because I knew I'd be waiting around outside in the cold for a few minutes before we started running.  It was either be cold standing there or sweat while running.  I chose to be a little cold.  By the time we got into the meat of the run, I was actually hot with my ColdGear on.  I had removed my gloves long before that too.

It took awhile for my GPS watch to get a signal.  It finally came in when we got to the parking lot where my car was at.  If it took any longer, I would've just started without it.

Karl set the pace early as we started out under the Christmas lights.  Since the last run here was only four miles, I decided to add the part of the Runner's World course that went through Lehigh.  This would give us closer to another mile.  We crossed 3rd Street and had a short climb to Lehigh's campus.  We then came back down and ran over the Fahy Bridge and took the same route as a few weeks ago.

The pace was solid early, but nothing fast.  We did have to stop briefly at a light.  As we went over the bridge, I struggled some with my breathing.  I haven't run much lately and have to get used to the cold air.

We then ran down near the Musikfest/Celticfest area and back up to Main Street.  That provided us with a short, but steep climb up to Main Street and then the long, gradual climb that is Main Street.  We stayed on the west side of the street, which was a good move since there are more shops on the east side of the street.

Karl began to fall back a little, but Noah was still right behind me.  We slowed a bit at this point.  It didn't feel like the pace was too hard, but it was definitely more of a moderate pace than an easy pace.  Probably a little faster than I would've preferred to run, but it worked out well.

Going up Broad Street was a bit busy.  That part of the run is still uphill.  Everyone was hanging tough at this point.  A car let us cross at one of the lights.  The first mile was 8:47, but the second mile was a solid 7:51.

I'm not too crazy about the Broad Street portion of this run once we get out of downtown.  It is much darker and it is hard to see the sidewalk.  It is very easy to trip there.  On the other hand, it is downhill and fast.  We cruised along.  It was brisk pace and I was impressed that Noah could keep up.  He was right on my heels.  Karl wasn't too far behind.  I figured he was close to his limit though.

Noah and I managed to get onto the Minsi Trail Bridge and luckily a car let Karl go through as well.  I still slowed slightly, or at least I thought.  I guess I just can't help it, I always have to push fairly hard going uphill.  I thought this hill might be too much for Noah, but he kept right with me.  Karl slid back a little, but he still was in sight.

When we hit the four mile point, I was amazed to see my watch show a 7:14 mile.  I didn't think we were going that fast.  No wonder Karl lost contact a little.  As we came down the hill, I could see him still on the bridge.  I slowed a little more, but not too much.  At this point, we were almost done, so I didn't mind losing him.

Noah had commented that I was setting a good pace.  We were half a mile from finishing up when we got to the Shoppes at the Sands.  I figured we would be very close to the blast furnace when we hit the five mile marker.

As we got into the home stretch, I decided that I would pick it up a little.  Noah stuck with me so well and I was curious what he was capable of.  I turned it up another gear.  He was able to hang right with me for another tenth or two.  That was actually longer than I expected.  He eventually dropped back, but I was impressed.  For someone that doesn't run, he did very well.  He said that that was the farthest that he's ever run.  He could post some great times if he did start training for running.

I even went too hard myself at the end.  I started to die with about a tenth of a mile to go.  I hung on though and finished up just past the blast furnace.  Noah and Karl were done shortly after that.  The last mile was a blazing 7:04.  Quite impressive because I still could go faster than that too.  I think the rest has really helped my pace.

I do have to be cautious.  My quads had a slight soreness throughout the run.  I might've been up on my toes too much since the pace was fairly quick.  It probably wouldn't hurt to put the additional insole back into my shoe.  I keep landing on that part of my foot.  Hopefully, massaging, stretching and strengthening will help my quads.  I have been working hard on that as well as doing some Pilates for my core.  I want to get more serious about all aspects of my training.  I need any little edge I can get.

It was a great run.  It was small in numbers, but the setting was good.  Same can be said for the pace.  It was nice and fast.  I had hoped to make my run the fast group run and perhaps it will become that.  We'll see.  I just hope it survives the winter.  It sounds like Noah will be there a lot and Karl will join us some.  That's a good start.  If only I could get some others to show up as well.

After the run, I drove up the mountain and found a great place to do short hill sprints.  It was an incredibly steep incline not far from the Steel Complex.  Even better, there is no outlet, so few cars use the road.  I guess I'll be there every week after this run.  I did 4X8 second hill sprints tonight.  Hopefully it will help strengthen my legs, but honestly it actually seemed too easy.  Maybe it will be tougher after more reps in the future.

I'm off from running tomorrow, but I would like to do some physical activity.  I was thinking of perhaps joining Dave and his crew as they mark the course for Saturday's run.  I would ride my bike tomorrow though.  If I don't do that, I might hike at Lehigh Gap.  I'm hoping there is still snow up there on the mountain. 

Dave's run is on Saturday.  I'm just going to be smart and run 8 miles.  I don't want to stop running though.  The run consists of running a 4.4 mile loop.  A new loop starts every hour and the run goes until everyone gives up or can't complete the loop in an hour.  Mostly, I am going to be there to take pictures of the craziness and hangout.  If I tried to run loop after loop, I'd end up injured.  It should be a fun day.

5 miles - 39:19 (7:52 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment