Thursday, November 8, 2012

Fast Paced Group Run


The Lights in the Parkway will be starting soon.  Since our LVRR Group Run attendance has been low and there were trees down the Parkway last week, we decided we would move the run.  We figured a better lit area would work.  We decided to move the run to SteelStacks near in the old Bethlehem Steel complex.

Akshay was planning to come, but I still figured that we wouldn’t have anyone else show up.  Not surprisingly, only one person, Jerry showed up.  He has never run with the group before.  He said he runs with a group on Wednesday nights and they do trivia at the BrewWorks afterward.  That sounds like fun.  He lives in nearby Hellertown.  I'm hoping that we can get more Bethlehem people out to run now that we have moved it.

I’d like to think that the unseasonable cold weather was the reason for the low turnout, but I’m sure it will just be that way all winter regardless.  This does look like it will be a great area to run around.
I scouted it out earlier in the day.  I originally thought that we could run to the Fahy Bridge then head right on Market Street and wind up going over the Minsi Trail Bridge for a nice loop.  It turned out that that route was only about 3 miles.  I decided we would add to it by heading left at the Fahy Bridge, then coming up through Main Street and run through downtown Bethlehem to Broad Street.  Then we would go to the Minsi Trail Bridge and back to the start.  This worked out well.

It was cold in the steel area.  I was probably overdressed with my fleece vest on, but I wasn’t sure of the pace.  We took off and it was a good start because they began adding some Christmas lights in the area.  I’m sure it will be very festive when they all are turned on in a few weeks.

I’m used to starting off slow when I run alone.  Today, we started off quick.  It took me a little time to get used to the pace.  Jerry pulled ahead, but I caught up and started chatting with him.  Although, I ran a significantly faster half marathon that he did, our 5K times seem pretty similar right now.  He actually ran the hat trick at the Runner’s World event.  Akshay was right with us too.  In fact, he pulled ahead through a lot of the early part of the run.

Getting to the Fahy Bridge was great.  It was well lit, the sidewalks were paved instead of concrete and there was little traffic.  The bridge was nice and peaceful.  Things got a little hairy as we tried to cross the road on the other side of the Fahy Bridge though.  It was hard to see the cars coming off the bridge.  Eventually we got through it and headed toward the Musikfest area.  That slowed us down.  It is one reason why I don't like running in the city.  It throws things off.

It was nice to run by the old historic part of town.  Running up Main Street was great too.  It was too cold for most people to be out.  We only had to avoid a few of them.  I pushed it a bit up the hill like I usually do.  At some points early on, Akshay was leading the way.  We traded off for a while.

Crossing some of the streets was a minor nuisance.  It took a little time to get across Broad Street.  Although it seemed like we were running fast, we were slowed by waiting to these roads.
Going up Broad Street, we had to dodge a few people on the sidewalk.  One woman just froze until we passed.  A teenager running as well and we blew by him.  We saw two guys and later a girl running the other direction.

The pace was already brisk, but around this time I really pushed it.  If the run is slow, I’m usually good at keeping a decent pace and running with others.  Once the pace gets fast, like it did today, I get too competitive and keep running hard.  I didn’t want to drop Jerry, but as he hung on, I pushed him more and more.  I just worked on staying in front of him.

Broad Street was tricky.  As we got out of town, it wasn’t all that well lit.  It was quite dim.  The sidewalks were uneven.  Luckily, I run a lot up on my toes these days, so I was less likely to trip.
The beginning of Broad Street is uphill, but after that is a great downhill segment.  I really flew at this part.  I couldn’t quite see him, but I could sense Jerry right behind me.  I also saw his shadow every now and then.

With the cold air, running this hard was a little tough.  I didn’t want to take it easy though.  My legs could’ve probably used some more recovery from the half marathon, but I wouldn’t allow it.  I wanted to take advantage of having someone fast to go with.

I sort of figured that Jerry probably wouldn’t stay with me going up the Minsi Trail Bridge.  I knew the pace was fast and we already lost Akshay on Broad Street.  On the bridge, Jerry did fall back, but not completely off.  As I was climbing, I finished mile 3 and saw that I had just run that mile at 6:56.  Since I couldn’t see my watch in the darkness, I didn’t realize we were going quite that fast.  No wonder the other two fell back a bit.  

I cruised a little bit more after that.  I wasn’t looking to run quite that hard.  Jerry caught up to me on the downhill of the bridge.  He followed me in as well looped around the steel.  We followed the Runner’s World finishing area.  I like to finish strong, so I picked it up once again near the end.  Jerry dropped back a little, but he finished just a few steps behind me.  It was a little over 4 miles.  Normally, I would’ve done a short out and back to get to 5 miles.  At this hard pace, that was enough running for today.

The run was small in numbers, but it was a great run.  That’s a nice area to run around.  I enjoyed it during the Runner’s World events and I enjoyed it tonight.  Maybe word will get around and we’ll pick up interest.  If not, I’ll still enjoy running there over the winter.  It will be especially cool during Christmas.  I hope Jerry will at least show up, so I have someone fast to run with.

The insole has helped my foot.  I am no longer sore there.  My quads, however, are still a pain.  I’m going to try some strengthening exercises.  The problem just doesn’t seem to be going away.  I think it might be due to me running more on my forefoot lately.  Walking up steps at home after the run, my left Achilles started to bother me.  I iced it and it feels okay now, but I’ll have to keep an eye on it.

Tomorrow will be another easy day.  I’m thinking only a 4 mile run.  I would like to run up a hill, so I might go to South Mountain.  That probably depends on how my Achilles feels and whether I can handle a climb.  I’ll just have to wait and see.

4.15 miles -32:17 (7:47 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment