Thursday, April 30, 2009

Mileage Junkie

After taking it easy yesterday, I decided to really push myself today. I went with biking again and completed a 20 mile route which consisted of two loops around the Schuykill from the Art Museum to Falls Bridge.

I hadn't biked more than 12 miles during one session up to this point. By about mile 7 or 8, I was already starting to feel it, but continued on. Hopefully I won't pay for this too much tomorrow. I figured that I'm not sure how much I'll be able to bike or run over the race weekend, so I might as well push myself before I leave tomorrow.

I am such a mileage junkie. Really that applies to any sport that I participate in. The hardest thing for me in exercising is simply getting out the door. Once I do that, I'm usually able to keep going and going. I'd often play basketball for hours or run mile after mile. It's fine if I do that, but I can't push it too far or I'll end up reinjuring myself.

I still have a lot to learn when it comes to riding. Early on, two bikers blew by me at what seemed double my speed. Clearly some of that is my poor conditioning, but I think part is also not knowing the correct gears to use. I need to be able to pedal more consistently at that same rate. I notice that when I tire, I drop down to an easier gear, but then just end up pedaling more and wearing myself out anyways.

Hopefully I can get some running and biking done at the race this weekend. If not, I'll definitely get back into it on Monday. I hope to do a couple more runs next week. So far, it's been a good start. The biking will really help reduce the stress on my knee.

No comments:

Post a Comment