Friday, October 5, 2012

The Sun is Back

It has been a dreary week to say the least.  It rained on Tuesday, Wednesday and even Thursday.  The sun came out just long enough to tease us yesterday afternoon before setting.  Today, the sun was finally back.  That actually made me look forward to my Friday run for a change.

I am so beat right now.  Three runs over the last two days have taken a toll.  As I left the house, my mom said, "You walk like an old man."  I thought to myself, does this make sense?  I'm so sore that I'm walking funny, but yet I'm going out for a run.  Sometimes this sport doesn't make sense.

I thought it would be good to enjoy the run on a scenic route nearby.  I decided to head to Mill Race Park and run along the creek.  I started around 11 AM.  It was already pretty warm out.  It was actually a perfect day for just sitting around, but that just means it was still on the hot side for a run.  The air was humid too. 

I started off running south.  I wanted to go to Penn Pump Park and back in the beginning.  The first mile was awkward as my sore legs came around.  There was a slight downhill there, which was nice.  I ran that mile at an easy 8:58.  I need more slow miles like that.

The beginning is in the shade and along the creek.  It is cool.  I didn't take too long before I was out in the sun and staring into the sun.  I was glad that I chose to wear a singlet.  I didn't look at my watch until .87 miles into my run.  I looked at it a little more frequently at this part, but I still did a better job of avoiding it than usual.

I was disappointed when I could see the road crossing by Penn Pump Park up ahead.  It wasn't as far out as I had hope.  I was hoping I'd be able to get to two miles before turning around.  Instead, I had to change directions at mile 1.6.  The bridge that they put up at the end of the trail is complete, but closed.  I didn't go into Penn Pump Park, so I'm not sure how complete that part of the trail is.  Eventually, it will connect the trails for miles.  I look forward to that.

On the way back, I saw a guy riding his bike again.  This loop is only 5 miles total.  I must've seen him 3 or 4 times.  I guess he was doing multiple loops.  This paved path is a great place to ride, it is just so short.  I passed a lot of walkers, a few runners and plenty of bikers throughout my run.

Coming back seemed slow.  I felt like I was always going uphill a little.  Perhaps I was or perhaps it was just my dead legs.  I got back to the starting point and was only at mile 3.2.

I was planning on running the other way, but I did pass an attractive woman earlier, so I decided to run back in her direction and then loop through the parking lot.  As I was in the parking lot, a bird took a crap on my arm.  I felt it come out of the sky.  Thankfully it was a small piece and solid, so it wasn't that big of a deal.  I could've stopped at my car or the bathroom, but I figured I would wait until the run was over.  I guess that's what I get for changing my path for an attractive woman.

I went out towards Tatamy to finish up the run.  I almost got to the end of the path, but not quite.  I turned around at mile 3.7 and headed back.  I cruised in and finished up just past the road crossing out of the Tatamy part of the trail.  It was good to be done.

My right hip was a bit sore afterward.  I was on the foam roller a lot last night and will continue using it.  I need to minimize my soreness.  I know that getting new shoes can really help when your muscles are hurting.  I ordered a new pair of the same shoes that I currently wear and they should be here by Tuesday.  I can't wait.  I have had these since last July and I'm right around 500 miles on them.  I am due for a new pair.

Originally, I wasn't planning to really taper before my half marathon.  I have a 9 mile race a couple weeks later, so I don't want to drop my mileage too much.  With how beat up I am, I will drop more than I was planning.  There will definitely be some taper.  It won't be drastic, but I will back off.

I'm still undecided on what to do tomorrow.  I think I want to do whatever is easier, but really I have no idea what that is.  I could either run 17 miles, hopefully a good chunk of that with Flo or I could run a 10k race and then add another 6 miles or more afterward.  I want to at least get to 52 miles again this week, just like I did last week.  The toughest thing with the 17 miler is that I struggle to get to bed and get up early on Saturdays.  I'd have to start running at 6 AM.  I would be running with the BCR at the Saucon Rail Trail when the main group gets there.  I don't know when I'll decide.

5 miles - 42:56 (8:35 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment