Monday, June 14, 2010

Back At It

I knew after my marathon, it might be awhile before I ran again. It's now been over a month and I finally got back into it. I've been fighting and infection for weeks. While I'm still not healed completely, I've been much better over the last week or so.

I actually was kind of sore as I headed out the door. I've felt much better at other times, but decided to give it a go anyway. Of course, I went out when it was about 85 degrees. That didn't make things easy.

I was sore walking over to Lloyd Hall. Then to add to the frustration, I couldn't get a satellite signal. Finally, I started running anyways. I picked up a signal after about a tenth of a mile.

Early on, I was a little stiff. I ran about what used to be comfortable pace for a three mile run. Although my legs were rusty, they felt pretty good after half a mile. The small downhill portions of the Schuykill Banks loop were a bit uncomfortable.

I wasn't running hard, but early on, my upper chest started to get sore. My pace was about what I used to run on an easy day, and perhaps a little faster than I should have gone. My lungs had trouble taking in enough air. The humidity probably didn't help either.

It was good to see I still had my speed. I lost it some, but not as much as I figured. I was still blowing by a lot of people and that felt good.

The last mile was a little tough. I certainly have to get my stamina back up. My legs and body did tire a little, but it was still my lungs that were holding me back. I hope they adapt quickly.

It felt good to finally get out there. I was pleased that I was no sorer than I had been before the run. I don't think I bothered the infection in any way. I might not get back on track right away, but I should at least be able to get some solid base mileage going. It feels so good to run again. I just wish I was 100%.

I haven't changed my goal of qualifying for Boston in the fall. That said, I'm simply taking it one day at a time. I'm not going to rush back into things after a month off. I'm going to try running Wednesday this week. I'll definitely shoot for 4 miles and might even up it to 5 miles. I'll try to run in the cooler morning weather though.

3 miles - 22:56 (7:39 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment